Anyone know which transponder chip our cars use?

"C"
I have the chart of PATS details and key types, but it is too big to post. PM you e-mail if you want it.

"C"
I have the chart of PATS details and key types, but it is too big to post. PM you e-mail if you want it.
Hey joe. I want to get a switch blade key for my ls. But I don't know where to purchase one from. Do you have any ideas? Secondly we chatted about programming another key without using a scanner. What are your thoughts on cloned keys?

... What are your thoughts on cloned keys?

Never tried it.

I've added a third key by cycling two working keys first - no problem.

I've added a second key by using a scan tool to enter secure mode - This is a little scary to do. The first thing that it does is erase all keys. If things don't work out, you'll be towing it. Fortunately, it all worked out for me, even though it looked like it was going badly near the end. (Instructions on this were pretty bad/incomplete.)

Never tried it.

I've added a third key by cycling two working keys first - no problem.

I've added a second key by using a scan tool to enter secure mode - This is a little scary to do. The first thing that it does is erase all keys. If things don't work out, you'll be towing it. Fortunately, it all worked out for me, even though it looked like it was going badly near the end. (Instructions on this were pretty bad/incomplete.)
http://www.keysfast.info/page10.html

Check this link out. It refers to transponder keys

The computer you are working on is Made in China. Probably half the electronics in the car are too.

Assuming I'm not using an Acer...... Which is why the coils don't last very long.... And which is why I stay from "Made in China" as much as I can!!!!

Where do you buy transponders by themselves? And is C gen 1 or 2?

Anyway, I got the gen2 compatible VW style flipkey off eBay. After 1 month, the key became loose and aubibly bounces when closed. One corner of the remote half (remote separable from key) doesn't stay completely closed. The chrome is peeling on the hinge end of the key. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the corner because I cut it up a bit to for a larger gen 1 transponder, although I didn't cut that side. The two key issues suck though and have no excuse.

Where do you buy transponders by themselves? And is C gen 1 or 2?

Anyway, I got the gen2 compatible VW style flipkey off eBay. After 1 month, the key became loose and aubibly bounces when closed. One corner of the remote half (remote separable from key) doesn't stay completely closed. The chrome is peeling on the hinge end of the key. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the corner because I cut it up a bit to for a larger gen 1 transponder, although I didn't cut that side. The two key issues suck though and have no excuse.

The one I bought a couple years back also got quite loose after about 6 months. I just kept the key part and trashed the rest. I keep it in the garage in case I need just a key.....

I thought "C" was referring to the type of transponder in the first post, but the chart says it's the PATS control type, so I'm confused. To get the VW key to work with my 1st gen, I had to take out the rectangular/trapezoidal transponder (also found in key #12) and glue in a glass pill from a generic #1. Worked without an issue after that. The flipkey wouldn't program even with the computer plugged in. Am I mixing something up?

I suppose that you are right. The control type does not necessarily imply the chip type.

I still want to know where you guys buy transponders without the surrounding key... My Gen 2 key with Gen 1 glass chip retrofit isn't working and I'm wondering if I broke it when I dropped the chip... twice. I'd rather not cut up a 5th key.

Anyone know if the ignition cylinder reads both sides of the key or just one? If it's just one I could make a dual-car key since both of my cars use the same generation Ford key haha.

Oh, for the programming procedure, how do I do it to program 4 keys total? Do you just put each new key in successively after the two working keys? Do I repeat the two working for each additional key?

I still want to know where you guys buy transponders without the surrounding key... My Gen 2 key with Gen 1 glass chip retrofit isn't working and I'm wondering if I broke it when I dropped the chip... twice. I'd rather not cut up a 5th key.

Anyone know if the ignition cylinder reads both sides of the key or just one? If it's just one I could make a dual-car key since both of my cars use the same generation Ford key haha.

Oh, for the programming procedure, how do I do it to program 4 keys total? Do you just put each new key in successively after the two working keys? Do I repeat the two working for each additional key?

I believe you can program up to 8 keys. The instructions are in the Owners Guide (they can be had free at Lincoln's site).

That's about what I paid for the key......

...Anyone know if the ignition cylinder reads both sides of the key or just one? If it's just one I could make a dual-car key since both of my cars use the same generation Ford key haha....

I believe that it is just one side, but I don't know this for absolute fact. I think the key is cut on both sides just so that you can put it in turned either way. I do want to try this one day, just to have fewer keys on my key ring.

I dont know about Ford, but I do know some manufactures do use tumblers that only read one side of the key at a time. it is very common for people to have a damaged key that will only work in one direction and not the other.

that does sound like a really good idea. I also hate having a lot of keys at a time (i actually Have each car with only its key and its fob, that i just grab and click on to my main rin with the house keys) but I think i would get annoyed any time I inserted the key in the wrong direction...

Members online

No members online now.
Back