Anyone interested in a custom heat shield if I make a few??

hite337

Hite Performance
Reaction score
I am considering fabricating a few custom heat shields like mine with galvanized sheet metal. These will be for the 1st gen LS. I dont think they will work for the 2nd gen because I am making them to bolt up to the factory intake tube. I have no access to a 2nd gen to fit them up correctly. I am gonna make a few sometime this week and I will post pics. The pic below is the one on my '02 LSE. It is stainless steel but the galvanized ones will look the same. I will probly sell them for around $40 and they will come with the rubber trim around the edges. You will need to buy a MAF adapter and your own cone filter. Let me know what you guys think.
HSfinished.jpg

HS5.jpg

Id be in for one if we could get it to match up with the LSK chrome intake tube. maybe we can set up something here in a couple weeks.. I can drive out and we could do some measurements.

Fudge it enough to work with the chrome tube, and I'm in.

That tube has a downturn at the very end, and might come out to a slightly different location. Might still bolt up, though.

So we don't think it would work for a gen2 because it sits too far back for a pipe to make the turn to it? Or because it would require a custom pipe to the manifold?

I don't see where the car looks any different other then just plumbing it to the intake.

I have never been in the engine compartment of a gen2, both of my LS's are gen1's. Is the factory air box the same on both gens? If so then it shouldnt be a problem to make it fit. If anyone in the Kansas City area has a gen2 that I could fit one up to verify or I could make a different one for a gen2 if it is a different setup. G-RELL sounds willing to let me experiment with his car that has the LSK intake tube so I can verify the fitment with that so that will open up more options for you guys. As long as the MAF sensor body sits in the exact same place as the factory location then there will be no fitment issues. This heat shield is designed to fit exactly where the factory air box sits.

I believe the upper portion of the airbox is different since the intake tube fits on the front instead of the back on a gen2. So my thought was that it wouldn't fit because you couldn't get a tube bent up in there.

Here's a gen2 engine:
112_0305_lsm45_03z+2003_lincoln_ls_v8+top_engine_view.jpg

To me it just looks like an issue of getting a tube that would fit. Or a bunch of couplers and some pipe since it's such a short run. Since you only want $40 I will buy one and experiment with it. I would think a 90 and two 45 couplers plus some tube would do the trick. Then I could always head off to a diesel exhaust shop and have them bend me something up out of stainless pipe.

If you have someone willing to let you hack away on their gen2 even better. :)

I have never been in the engine compartment of a gen2, both of my LS's are gen1's. Is the factory air box the same on both gens? If so then it shouldnt be a problem to make it fit. If anyone in the Kansas City area has a gen2 that I could fit one up to verify or I could make a different one for a gen2 if it is a different setup. G-RELL sounds willing to let me experiment with his car that has the LSK intake tube so I can verify the fitment with that so that will open up more options for you guys. As long as the MAF sensor body sits in the exact same place as the factory location then there will be no fitment issues. This heat shield is designed to fit exactly where the factory air box sits.

Yep, shouldn't be too much of an issue... may just have to sit a little further back and at a bit of an angle..... sounds manageable. PM me when you think you might want to start....

Yep, shouldn't be too much of an issue... may just have to sit a little further back and at a bit of an angle..... sounds manageable. PM me when you think you might want to start....

Is that for a gen1 or gen2?

Cause if it's for a Gen2, I will commit to buy one right now! :)
Guess worse case scenario, I'll just buy the Gen1 piece and get creative with some piping.

Has to be someone up near you with a Gen2 that has a weekend to spare. If you weren't a 2-day drive away I'd let you hack away on mine.

Wow, I didnt think I would get so many responses this quickly with people wanting to buy these. I am going to mock one up from cardboard tonite and get a final template to use. Mine is good but the intake tube sits about a 1/2" lower than factory and makes it look a little off. I want these to be perfect. My MAF adapter is for a 4" MAF and I had to drill new holes in it. I will go to the parts store and get one that fits better so I can give you guys a part number for ordering yourselves one. Give me a week or two (maybe sooner) and I will have 10 or 20 made to start with for the stock air tube. I will pm G-RELL so we can set up a time to verify demensions for the ones to fit the LSK intake tube, hopefully they will be the same or very close. Transactions will be done thru PayPal or cash pick up. I will post payment info when I have some of these done. Be patient with me guys, I'm a single parent with 2 kids and full time job but I promise I will have a quality product to offer you. I dont do anything half-assed. If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

I believe the upper portion of the airbox is different since the intake tube fits on the front instead of the back on a gen2. So my thought was that it wouldn't fit because you couldn't get a tube bent up in there.

Here's a gen2 engine:
112_0305_lsm45_03z+2003_lincoln_ls_v8+top_engine_view.jpg

To me it just looks like an issue of getting a tube that would fit. Or a bunch of couplers and some pipe since it's such a short run. Since you only want $40 I will buy one and experiment with it. I would think a 90 and two 45 couplers plus some tube would do the trick. Then I could always head off to a diesel exhaust shop and have them bend me something up out of stainless pipe.

If you have someone willing to let you hack away on their gen2 even better. :)

It looks like the intake tube and the air box are a single piece. This is different than the gen1 but it looks like they are in the same location so it is possible but it seems like the gen2 guys will have to fabricate some kind of intake tube to make it work

Ill give ya access to a gen 2 Im in lees summit pretty much every day:)

I think Im the guy your roomate ran into at KCIR last summer in my gold '00. Im going to try and get G-RELL to come by on NOV 5th to measure up for the gen1 LSK tube. Maybe you could come by the same day and we can check out the gen2 options.

Probably a stupid question but will this shield work with the K&N CAI setup that comes with the half shield or whatever? I believe it's part 57-2562

Members online

Back