Anyone have problems with a ball joint?

WS6HUMMER

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
When I bought my wife's 03 LS this monday I noticed on the test drive the steering had a little shake on a nice smooth road. When I brought the car back I asked the used car dealer I was buying it from to check the tire pressure, thought this might be the problem. Well the salesman comes back and said yeah one of the front tires was a little low, on the way home I notice its still doing it, I'm not that worried though because the car has 44k miles and is still under factory warranty. When we get back to Louisiana on our rough bumpy roads I notice a noise that sounds like something in the front right suspension is loose so yesterday I decide to check it out. I can grab the R/H front wheel, pull on it and there is a little play where as the drivers sid is good and tight. Infact I can get it to make the noise just by grabbing the wheel an pulling outward on it. At first I thought it may be a hub bearing but the closer I look at it it seems to be a badly worn upper ball joint. Is this a common problem with these cars?

ball joints are VERY common failures on these cars. For the upper you have to replace the upper control arm IIRC

beaups said:
ball joints are VERY common failures on these cars. For the upper you have to replace the upper control arm IIRC

Thanks, makes me feel like I'm not going crazy. I hope the dealer wont give me a hard time about replacing it.

Members online

Back