anyone have/or know

hotrodLSC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
what a kit costs to change over to spring/shock combo? i really want to get rid of this crappy air bags. i was thinking just get the springs/shocks/front lower control arms from a 87-88 thunderbird. what else would i need? let me know if i forget something :L :feedback

check www.strutmasters.com or www.arnottindustries.com for their conversion kits. However, I must profess that an airbag system is easier to work with, cheaper in the long run, and much more luxurious than springs. I think that we can help you get your air ride system up to snuff for less than you would spend on a conversion.

hotrodLSC said:
what a kit costs to change over to spring/shock combo? i really want to get rid of this crappy air bags. i was thinking just get the springs/shocks/front lower control arms from a 87-88 thunderbird. what else would i need? let me know if i forget something :L :feedback
What makes your air ride springs crappy?

i have never liked the air bags, but i will eventually change over cuz this is gonna be my drag car. hell, right now, my 02 sable has a better ride then my lincoln. i just prefer shock/springs configuration. :L

hotrodLSC said:
i have never liked the air bags, but i will eventually change over cuz this is gonna be my drag car. hell, right now, my 02 sable has a better ride then my lincoln. i just prefer shock/springs configuration. :L
When used properly, the air ride suspension is better suited for drag applications.

i don't think the stock air springs are strong enough. plus, the guy i bought the car from gave me all his recipes(?) that he had on it, and the dryer and compressor are from arnott. they were bought in march of this year, and i am already having a problem with it. my dad works for ford and he brought me a new dryer home, and it won't work. it mounts on the compressor differently. so, i am gonna call arnott tomorrow and see what we need to do.

Dude, before you trash your air ride why not do a little research. You will find that many of us drag our Mark's with the stock air ride. I'm looking to go 12s with mine :D

I've got five complete sets of bags (read the sig). When they go bad, I replace them with new, never before used, bags. Kind of like tires; when mine go bad, I don't replace them with solid rubber :)

OK. Now that us BAG HUGGERS have rained on your parade, I'm sure that there are just enough SPRING HUGGERS out there that will say the opposite.

"You don't miss the water until the well runs dry."
- Former Air Ride Spring Owner

that is fine, to each his own. i am not a fan of bags, never have been. to be honest, i am not looking for a great ride. like i said, when the bags were working fine, my sable rode better. i don't want any of you guys to hate cuz i am new and say that i don't like the bags. when i get the chance, i will replace them with shock/springs. :L

hotrodLSC said:
there are no shocks on it now. it just has the air bags

I believe we have found the issue with your poor ride quality. I am curious as to where your shocks went? There should be one on each corner! I would suggest putting shocks on the car (as you will want to do that regardless of springs or air bags) and then decide how you feel about the air ride suspension.

JoshMcMadMac said:
I believe we have found the issue with your poor ride quality. I am curious as to where your shocks went? There should be one on each corner! I would suggest putting shocks on the car (as you will want to do that regardless of springs or air bags) and then decide how you feel about the air ride suspension.
Actually there are 2 shocks in the back and 2 struts in front :D

if they are on there, i would like to know where. with the air bags with no air in them, my exhaust drags the ground(yes, it has the stock exhaust) and the wheels are tucked in the wheel wells. when the bags are aired up, i have no problem with the ride. i have no idea as to what i am gonna do, i put a new dryer on it, and the back aired up, but the front will not. i did find that the o-ring at the compressor(from the dryer) broke on me. all i did was put the o-ring on the dryer and gently set it in the compressor. it still leaked, so i took the dryer off and noticed that the o-ring had a chunk missing from it. i have no idea as to where it went. what o-ring do i need for it? :L

BTW, i had to use tie straps to let it stop leaking air. i straped it from the bottom of the compressor to top of the dryer.

You need a #36 size o-ring for the base of the dryer. Also, shocks/struts do not control ride height; they control ride quality. The springs are what determine height. Check under there, you'll see them.

well, i got my bags to air up, finally. i got o-rings from oreilly's(they are just regular black o-rings, not sure how long they will last). i had to put two o-rings at the dryer/compressor. i got under it and got a good look, and there are shocks/struts on it. i am very glad i get to drive my car again. :L

hotrodLSC said:
that is fine, to each his own. i am not a fan of bags, never have been. to be honest, i am not looking for a great ride. like i said, when the bags were working fine, my sable rode better. i don't want any of you guys to hate cuz i am new and say that i don't like the bags. when i get the chance, i will replace them with shock/springs. :L
hehehehehehe

Brother ... somebody ... somewhere ... is gonna hate :)

The moment you let anyone know if it bothers you, we'll be on you like white on rice!

I'm loving bags.
I'm hating springs.

Also, glad to see/read that you're not draggin anymore.

Now, you should start a TUNE UP thread and change one part per week all winter long. By warm weather, you'll be zipping all over the state in style!

By the way, which Greenville are you in?
Greenville, NC,
Greenville, SC,
Greenville, MS,
Greenville, TX,
Greenville, AL,
Greenville, IL?

Members online

No members online now.
Back