Anyone have a remote start?

nc2tarheels

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
With the cold monthes ahead, I was wondering if anyone has installed a remote start? Opinions? Brands to use? etc?? Thanks
Keith

I have a Ford Remote start kit sitting in a box in my trunk. I have the installation manual in my laptop case; I've seen Russian novels with fewer pages... :eek:

I installed the Viper 791XV about 6 months ago. If you do decide to get that one I suggest get it online because it retails for $599. I got mine for $179 shipped. When and if you do get it and you get it installed Ford/Lincoln uses a chip that you insert your key into so you're going to need a spare key to give to them. Also ask them about your trunk pop and your remote windows because they won't do it for you if you don't ask. I like the remote start because when it does get cold you can warm up your car inside and the engine will be ready to go by the time you get inside.

I've got the ford remote start. I let the lincoln dealer install it. It was difficult for them even. But all the features work like windows and trunk release, memory seats. The other brands have issues on the 05 LS.

I too have a Ford remote start in my 06 LS. It isn't two-way, but it is quite good. My dealer also commented what a PITA it was to install. Like hrlincoln said, it does everything that the original keyfob does, and you can even activate the rear window defrost and/or the headlights after starting the vehicle. The range is good - I can activate it from inside my office building with my car at the far end of the parking lot. The Ford one does not require the engine immobilizer (with coded keys) to be permanently disabled like most 3rd party systems. Chamarro mentioned having to sacrafice a key to get the coded chip from it... it is used to disable this security feature.

Aftermarket Remote Start

In my 2003 V-8 Sport I have a "Cool Start RS900VI" from Crimestopper. I like that it can be used with the factory key fob as well as the Cool Start fob. I hit the lock button 3 times and then it starts.

Very good range but I don't have a number for you. You can even take the keys out while the car is running and lock the car. Useful for going into a quick stop and keeping the A/C seats cool!! Also has a timed shut down after removing the key. Not needed for the LS but a good option for turbo equipped cars. Also can automatically start the car every 4 hours for extreme cold conditions. You can program how long it runs every 4 hours. Completely interfaces with the stock factory PATS system. Many,many more options and things it can control.

One additional feature which I don't use, is that the crimestopper remote key fob can be used to control 2 cars. So you don't have to carry two seperate key fobs around!

My best advice is to make SURE that whatever you install, it will get along with the factory PATS 100%!

www.crimestopper.com

Is this something that I could install on my own? Is it something pretty easy or not?? If I buy it offline, what would a place charge to install?

you might laugh, but this is the best remote starter out there for $50

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-CHANNEL-REMOT...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180036414265

Ive installed this into MANY cars over the past years and have never had one break(unlike others). Ive installed a lot of different brands and this one cant be beat for the price. This unit has GREAT range, has door lock/unlock, trunk release and an alarm(dont know how good it is, never hooked that part up before)

The LS isnt hard to put one in, you mainly use the crimp connectors and almost all of the necessary wiring is behind the key cylinder which is hard to get to. You have to lay in the car upside down and reach up to get to it easier. Its not really a novice job, but can be figured out.

The only other part you need is a Security bypass which you can pickup from PepBoys for $20 and you put your spare key into it and wrap the wiring around the back side of the key cylinder.

If you think the LS is hard to put a remote start in, try putting one into a new SAAB, now thats a challenge.

I'll back up 02V8Sport's claim on that. Asainwolf makes some great products. I've installed a couple of thier alarms as well as other window modules, LCD keyfob addons and alarm addons.

I have a clifford remote start with two way pager... I love it... its funny when people are around the car and i turn it on any they are like what?:shifty: lol

Members online

Back