Anyone got a upper control arm trick?

DuKeNoMaD

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Any of you knowledgable ppl have a trick to getting at the back upper control arm bolt... without removing the degas bottle that is?. I really don't want to disturb mine

Any of you knowledgable ppl have a trick to getting at the back upper control arm bolt... without removing the degas bottle that is?. I really don't want to disturb mine
"BrosephWell-Known LVC Member

No need to disconnect the brake lines, so there should be no fluid, bleeding, or seal issues. Just leave the MC floating by the brake lines, nearby but out of the way.
Just following up for those interested in upper control arm removal that these instructions Joegr shared are accurate for Gen I. I just I would've reread these before starting as the second MC bolt by the fender is a PITA to get to.

I decided the reservoir had to be removed due to a tab that blocked access to the MC bolt (after removing cowl and support bar and others). Turns out that tab is from the reservoir to the cylinder bolt that goes all the way through. After I loosened and pulled the bolt I got access to the MC bolt and voila, out came the Master cylinder and now I could remove the upper control arm.

I think it's a 1 - 1.5 hr job to remove for first timers if you do it right."

I did my upper control arms and did not have an issue with the bolt. The process, like so many others on this car, is something I consider similar to a women giving birth. Your body releases some type of endorphin that let's you forget the pain and process. I can't recall exactly how, but I know I dropped the coil spring.

I figured it out... without removing the Mc, or the degas bottle...u just need a 15mm gearwrench!

I've done the left side in a WalMart parking lot. I think this can be figured out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back