Anyone ever cut the plastic air box for a cold-air mod?

Rick1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2006 LS sport with catback Bassinis and a chip/tune

I saw a tutorial on cutting the bottom of the LS air cleaner box for a modified 'cold air. system.

Has anyone actually tried and what were the results?

Thanks

there have been a couple of people who have cut their box up for a little louder sound.

most of us just buy the K&N intake kit.

If you're looking for sound, just get the kit. Know that the factory cold air intake setup is better than any aftermarket system out there for the LS, regardless of all the claims put out there about "12HP".

Cant say that until you have made comparison Dyno runs.

One thing is clear: the factory setup takes air from outside the engine bay (though barely), whereas the cone filter kits have no separation from the bay's hot air. Add in a heat shield and the cone filter will be separated from the hot air, but it's not exactly sucking it from outside the engine bay. I'll eventually try to figure out a ramair duct that forces air into the shielded section to try and help it a bit, but it's not like it makes a big difference on these cars anyway.

I'm pretty sure one time I saw reduced performance on a hot day 2 hours into a long trip in traffic without the heat shield, but it could have just been excessive AC compressor use. Or my imagination

Members online

No members online now.
Back