Anyone Else Have Junk Seats?

Outkast

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
my seats are breaking down real bad...big deep wrinkles, the leather is starting to fray in the seams....I guess I have to look at junkyards.

anyone else have this problem? I only have 89k on her, but these seats look like they have 200k on them.

wildlife027.gif

wildlife026.gif

wildlife025.gif

Mine are not to that point yet, but are showing decent wear. Check out SEM leather paint. Comes in a spray can. Pull the seat out of the car, and refinish the entire thing. Of course, follow all prep instructions.

Probably won't come out perfect, but would be a huge improvement.

I have a can, waiting to try it out on the driver's seat.

That's what happens when you don't take care of your leather... sadly my seats are worse, been that way since I got my car...

yeah, PO was an old lady that smoked.....alot..

doubt they ever got much in the cleaning department...

I was hoping there was a magic potion to bring the life back in them...

Nah, not really. Once the coating is gone (which is the extreme wear areas you see), you can only reapply some type of finish coat. Almost all (some high end vehicles excluded) vehicles use a coated leather now. It's pretty much painted. How do you tell? Dab some water on it. If it immediately turns darker in color and absorbs the water, you have uncoated leather. Supple, luxurious, and beautiful, but a bitch to keep pristine. The newer coated leather is made for durability, and ease of cleaning. They can also use a lower grade of leather, making it more cost effective as well.

The advantage is you can refinish the coated leather. You do have to rough up the surface (after a thorough soil and oil removal), then paint. Not sure if there is an adhesive primer or something involved before the color coat.

Check this out. These are some of the results the professional detailers are getting out of refinishing leather:

leather seat 1.jpg

leather seat 2.jpg

leather seat 3.jpg

leather seat 4.jpg

leather seat 5.jpg

yeah I could tell..thanks..

I wonder if it still feels like leather, or if it get stiff..like painted vinyl

I would guess it would feel about the same as if it were new. I mean, coated leather don't feel like suede to begin with.

What I do wonder about is if you would care for restored leather the same as if it were a factory finish.

Man those were some nice before and after pics. He did a great job on that car. Is that what you do pektel? How much would a job like that run at?

Not to be negitive, but it doesn't last. I worked at a dealership and thats what we did to the used cars that would come in with worn seats. They always come back to worn fairly quickly.

Man those were some nice before and after pics. He did a great job on that car. Is that what you do pektel? How much would a job like that run at?

Haha yeah that's what I do. Just not NEARLY to that extent. I've never encountered a vehicle in that poor of shape that someone was willing to pay to bring back to like new condition.

I would imagine a job like that would be in the 2500-3000 range. Not many people around here willing to shell out that kind of cash.

Thats a lot of money, maybe try myself first and when I failed horribly and got tired after the 10th hour I think I would.50 hrs is a long time.He even got down to the little tights places with q-tips geez. That is a lot of money but the outcome was great.

Members online

Back