Anyone else have frequent problems with power windows?

Xombine

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this site but I've owned my 1995 Executive (DD) for about 6 years. I love this car to death but there's just one thing about it that's really frustrating.

I don't know what it is but I can't seem to get my driver's power window to function properly for more than a year. I've had a lot of trouble keeping regulators in functional shape for some reason. It seems like every time I turn around, the window is stuck or it has fallen into the door. Since 2008 (when the problem began):

The regulator has been replaced 4 times (about once a year)

The window motor has been replaced twice (2009 and 2012)

The glass was replaced (broken by tech, 2008)

The run guide was replaced (harvested from another car, 2011)

The master switch was replaced (2012)

And this morning, the darn thing got stuck again and now it won't move. :mad: What's going on? It seems to me that just about every part in that door has been replaced, do I need a new door!?

Has anyone else had this much trouble with their power windows? Any idea why mine keeps eating regulators?

I'm taking it to a body shop who hasn't worked on it before on Monday. Any insight would be genuinely appreciated. :)

I would advise that you find the root problem of why you window is not operating as designed. It could be a mechanical problem or an electrical problem.

It could also be as simple as the motor drive dogs being turned to mush.

[SUP][/SUP]The only time I know the window mechanisms in my 92 TC were looked at was last summer when I replaced the motor drive dogs in all 4 window motors. 3 of the 4 failed within a week span and the 4th one was on it's last leg. It took 4 hours to change them all out including drilling out all the rivets and replacing with 1/4" X 1/2" capscrews. Total cost < $35. All regulators were liberally lubricated at that time. The drive dogs can be had at most auto parts stores. I used Dorman 74410.

74410-007.jpg

I have read about more problems with the later year TC's and window regulator failure. I'm not sure exactly why, but one thing I do know, that MSRP on a regulator for a '92 is $280 and a 95 is $118. I'm not sure how that relates to the longevity of the aforementioned parts but that is quite a difference.

I also am a firm believer than using aftermarket parts to replace these regulators is a recipe for failure.

There is also a procedure for adjusting the window door glass to be done after a regulator replacement.

Door Window Glass

NOTE:
Before making any adjustments, remove the front door trim panel (23942) and front door trim shield (237A04).

1. Loosen, but do not remove, upper front door power window regulator retaining nuts.

2. Raise front door window glass (21410) to full up position and tighten nuts to 9-14 N-m (7-10 lb-ft).

3. Loosen, but do not remove, front door glass run front retainer bolt (Town Car only).

4. Lower front door window glass to full down position and tighten retainer bolt to 9-14 N-m (7-10 lb-ft).

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back