Anybody have the write up on taking apart 03+ headlights?

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have the write up 02V8LS did on taking apart gen 2 headlights back in 07? Ken said he would have it up on his site (LSK) in that thread in 07 but I looked and its not on there and its not on here. Does anybody have it?

I had Lightwurkz do a set for me but they painted the bezels the wrong color.
It was pretty easy to recut them open and redo them.
I used a 4 1/2" diamond masonry blade in an electric hand grinder.
Took about 5 minutes to cut open but I'm a former bodyman so I wouldn't recommend this to anyone less than a master craftsman.
To hold them together before putting on the sealant use a hot glue gun to spot weld them.
Lightwurkz recommended PL Premium polyurethane construction adhesive available in paint at Home Depot.
It needs to cure overnight.

How did they get it open? Did they dremel like everyonne else has to or do they have very patient people that get them open like if it was the gray sealant without breaking anything or using a dremel? i sent then an email for angel eyes install, cost about 500. One could save a lot if we could just get them open

They cut them open and resealed them with PL Premium.
Took them 2 months to do it.
I just followed their seam and recut them open.
I got some pics at work.
Not a how to exactly but I'll post them here later.

here's a few pics and the tool I used to cut them open in 5 minutes.
Be careful not to cut too deep especially across the top as you may cut into the bezel.

100_0221.JPG

100_0222.JPG

100_0225.JPG

100_0226.JPG

100_0227.JPG

100_0228.JPG

i would love to do this but it looks like sh#t

The rubber for the hood goes right over the seam which can be cleaned up if need be and painted black.
You won't notice from looking under the hood when it's finished.

Wow it looks like they jacked it up. LSunv2's didn't look that bad, maybe cause since its our own headlight we'll take time and so it comes out good not just to say its done. 2 months to do? Thats a long time, you're going to need to have an extra set of lights for that. I thought they have some special method that was worth sending the lights to them to get opened but If they're going to do a worse job then we would ourselves, I dont think 500 bucks is worth it

I had a set of halogens that came with the car.
They did a good job on the HIDs other than painting them the wrong color:eek:
a light blue instead of my light green tundra.
You could do this yourself over a weekend,letting the sealant set overnight.

Oh yours was that green one. Yeah i've seen that picture. Plus it is good to do it yourself. Makes you love the car more when you do spend hours sweating and suffering trying to mods things up. Whar kind of bulbs are you running now? 4300k or 6000k

Oh yours was that green one. Yeah i've seen that picture. Plus it is good to do it yourself. Makes you love the car more when you do spend hours sweating and suffering trying to mods things up. Whar kind of bulbs are you running now? 4300k or 6000k

I didn't like the blue bulbs so I'm running the stock white color.

Members online

No members online now.
Back