Any way to disable the cell phone and SOS warnings?

Lincoln Continental

1. Sincoln

Sincoln Active LVC Member

Not a huge deal, but it flashes no cell phone and the other message saying it's not connected or whatever. Since the cell phone from 20 years ago will never find it's way back, and I'll never acquire a Ford equivalent of on-star, was wondering if I could either cut a wire, unplug something, or fool the cluster with a resistor to keep the warnings away?

2. FlaOkie

FlaOkie Active LVC Member

Don’t know if this helps or not – but this is what you are looking at --
    There is a cellular phone module and a vehicle emergency message module, both in the trunk. Both are connected to each other by many wires. It might be worth trying to disconnect the two modules, and see what happens.
    Fuse F2.38 (10A) (hot at all times) F2.4 (10A) (hot in run) in the central junction box under the dash powers the cell phone module, and F2.38 and F2.15 (10A) (hot in run) powers the vehicle emergency message module.
    Fuse F2.38 also feeds the clock and CD changer (and who knows what else).
    Again, it might be worth pulling the fuses to kill the power or pulling the connectors on both the modules and see what happens.

I have a feeling it’s more complicated than that, but it might be worth a try.

If you are really interested in making the error messages go away, it might be best if you get a service manual. That will have wiring diagrams that may help determine if certain wires have to be removed/relocated.

3. Sincoln

Thanks for that FlaOkie. Any idea where the modules are?

4. FlaOkie

Looks like the Cell Phone module is in the trunk under the rear window in the middle.
    I think there is a shelf under there with other modules on it.
    Vehicle Emergency Message System module is in the trunk – on the passenger side wall back towards the tail light.
    First pic is cell phone module - second pic is vehicle emergency message module.
    cellmod.jpg

vmod.jpg

5. FlaOkie

I just found this - which indicates if you pull the fuses that are hot in run - the system will not be powered up - thus (maybe no error messages.

cell.jpg

6. Sincoln

Wow, thank you for the screen shots. I've seen the tray module before under the window, and should be easy to unplug and see what happens. Haven't seen the rear 1/4 one before.

I'll update with results.