Any way of testing coils to see if they're bad?

P Rock

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Title says it all...I bought a complete set of 8 coils but I'd only like to replace the bad ones and keep some of the new ones for later (if needed) or replace all 8 and hang on to any good ones that I pull out of the car. Any way of testing them? Voltmeter? Ammeter? any way at all?

Thanks

I think autozone can test the. If no one has answered bythis afternoon. I think I still have a test procedure document.

If you have a scantool like the one offered by autoenginuity then use it to check the mode 6 data.

I haven't seen one of the LS coils, but I would imagine there would be an OHM's test that can be done like on other coils. However I don't know what the resistance would be.

coils

I tried autozone, dealer, etc. no one could test them. I tried adding new ones moving them around to see if I could tell a difference that didnt work. I had replaced 6 coils...no difference. Added the last two.... solved. My suggestion is suck it up and install all 8 and stop screwing with it. I spent way too much time trying to figure it out. Thanks

I've never had a bad experience with coils...what happens? An extreme lack of power and jumping?

The dealer can test them. Its called a coil on plug stress test but they need to be in the car for them to be tested.

Jay

Members online

No members online now.
Back