any problems with the higher mileage cars? (link inside)

mossbergman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
looking to get back into the game and this car is localish. I know to look for the usual blend door, suspension issues, ball joints/bushings/ect. are there any problems that start to arise with the powertrain at that mileage? I know with proper maintenance these will soldier on for a long time..

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4280122301.html

For the price I think it's a fair deal. The trans would be the only big thing i'd worry about at that mileage, motor and rear end should be fine if taken care of. Other than that just check all the gen2 specific problems we're all aware of. Rear tray, bda, neon, headlights, rusty brake lines and the little things inside. For that price I wouldn't expect them all to work, but if they do it's a plus.

The wheel is on backwards the car may only be worth scrap now.

+1 on what was said above
If not already done it will probably need valve cover gaskets

How do you go wrong for that price? I am driving my friends 97 lsc with 226000 miles. The rear went bad around 215000. Other than the typical gen 2 things, it runs and drives like one with much lower miles. Go for it and good luck!

I would rather have a car that was used normally and has miles on it than one that has sat. I find way more issues on low mileage cars than ones that average 7-15k a year.

If your okay driving a golf ball (not sure how had the hail damage truly is), knowing the front bumper has been worked, and that you probably cannot get full coverage insurance on it, I don't see any issue at all. I probably had/have more issues on my 110k 97 Mark VIII than that has at its mileage.

With any 16 year old car you have to expect to have to turn some wrenches, or pay to have it worked on, and perhaps know that you might have some large expenditure like a transmission, but I have way less problems with my older fleet than many of my friends and co-workers who rarely pay off vehicles before moving on do.

Members online

Back