any issues with the TC, going to look at one

loki993

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Theres TC for sale for a good price near me and im wanting to take a look at it. I haven't called on it so I don't have any details on the car. Judging by the price Id say its a 98 and I don't know how many miles are on it. the car looks like its in pretty good shape though. Basically are there any common problems I should look for??

On the 98-01's the composite coolant crossover on the intake is the only real problem. Check to see if it is updated with the aluminum version.

OHHH it very easily can strand you when it pukes out all the coolant in a matter of seconds....

yeah , your right, but It is an easy fix. I guess when I say strand me I mean I don't need to have the car towed. I can change the crossover on the side of the road in about half an hour depending where the thing is. Of course if it was anything like my Mark it will take 3 hours, working on that car was a nightmare.

how does the air ride hold up on these. I had a 92 Mark VII and I had nothing a lot of issues with it, granted it a lot older, but I really would want to deal with that again.

^^Unlike your Mark VII the towncar just has air ride in the rear and its a much cheaper to replace setup as well. If the manifold cracks on a 98 it will leave you stranded and you WILL have to have the car towed unless you plan on carrying an extra crossover with you just in case lol. Good luck on your potential purchase & be sure to post some pics.

oh, honestly I missed the part where you said it was on the intake. honestly I was thinking about something like a heater valve or a plastic t for the coolant, you know something in the line. I see what your saying now the whole intake would have to be replaced and yes that is definitely not something I could do on the side of the road...well I probably could but I would not want to.

I did look at the car today, its a 98 and it has 145K on it, it drives pretty good and they current owners drive it quite a bit with quite a few 2-3 hours trips on it. they say it hasn't given them any problems and they think its solid, after driving it there area a few things, it wanders a tiny bit, it pulls a little under braking and there may be little vibration around 70, but really all in all it seems good for a 10 year old car.

Yea just check out the front part on the intake and make sure its metal. I would think at 145k its already been replaced so you should be in the clear on that.

so these are relialble? what I really need is a reliable car that I could drive anywhere and not have to worry.

so these are relialble? what I really need is a reliable car that I could drive anywhere and not have to worry.

In general they are VERY reliable. That's one of the reason why I like them, the other factors being: they are cheap, loaded with creature comforts, and believe it or not they are good on gas...

buy one you will not regret it
my wife stole my TC even though she hates big cars but she loves the our TC

thought this thread was dead I was going to start a new one, Im going to throw in the kicker here and this is not why I have jumped on it yet. the car has some pretty bad hail damage to it. the price is only 2600, I may be able to get him down, but im not sure. still worth it?? Ive always been the guy that gets the cheap cars with the cosmetic issues and then when it come time for me to sell it I have to practically give it away to get rid of it. so thats why
Im a bit wary.

Do YOU like the car?

Can you live with a bunch of "speed bumps" on it?

I can live with it, but thats not the issue. the issue is the next guy, when I try the sell the car or trade it for something else it will be an issue, thats my big worry. basically the cars book around 4k right?? is the 2600 price low enough to mitigate the hail damage??

Members online

No members online now.
Back