Any engine pulling tips?

oddball

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My friend is convinced we should pull the engine from a '98 M8 for his next build. That's fine with me, except it's in a U-Pull-It yard.
Any tips, like magic bolts that make the whole thing call out? Things we should watch out for? I've never worked on a M8, so blindly hoping it's somehow easy.
Thanks!

Unbolt the upper control arms, air shocks, fuel lines, hoses and other small stuff and drop out the bottom by removing the 8 bolts holding the front K-member to the uni-body.

IMG-20101201-00040.jpg

IMG-20101201-00040.jpg

(+) 2 bolts for the trans brace and disco the shift linkage. Most JYs cut the cats off, so the exhaust will probably be out of the way

I don't know what the JY rules are by you, but if you try to take it out the top you're going to have a bad time.

I don't know what the JY rules are by you, but if you try to take it out the top you're going to have a bad time.

What about Town Cars, Grand Marquise, most trucks, where you're NOT pulling it out of the bottom

Thanks, guys! Hopefully they have it up high enough to slide it out the front. The yards have huge rolling gurneys to lift engines here. We were thinking about using that to hold it in place then drop it.

Isn't the best way from the top to take the engine out along with the transmission? I know the steering shaft is in the way, but I think it is one bolt to remove it. Or just cut it.

If it's coming out of the top, I don't think the steering will be in the way. Exhaust is above it

Well, that was a bloody (literally) mess.
Ended up dropping to the ground with k-member and tranny, but couldn't get it to budge. So disconnected the tranny and k-member and pulled just the engine back out the top. The steering shaft had to come out. Could've been easy....! We still lucked out. Turns beautifully, no gunk anywhere in the engine, got all the harnesses, hoses and bits for $280 + 5 hours of misery.

In other news, is there a good guide to build options for the DOHC 4.6? I know a lot about '60's and '70s engines, but nothing about these.

There's a huge sensor sticking into the side of the oil pan. Is that a temp sensor or an oil presence sensor?

There is an oil level sensor on the pan.

Where is the oil temp sensor? I assumed that's what that one was. I have had an "oil temp signal error" since I installed the engine. I spliced in the wires for that sensor and figured either my wiring was bad or the sensor was.

Where is the oil temp sensor? I assumed that's what that one was. I have had an "oil temp signal error" since I installed the engine. I spliced in the wires for that sensor and figured either my wiring was bad or the sensor was.

You mean a coolant temp? The oil has only a pressure and a level sensor.

You mean a coolant temp? The oil has only a pressure and a level sensor.

No. I have an "oil temp signal error." The only way to have that error if something is supposed to monitor the oil temp, therefore there has to be a sensor that is supposed to do that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back