Another V8 misfiring

1lincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 48,000 miles - I think my V8 is having the same type of problem as most people have experienced. It is missing a little a all speeds and it is very noticeable at a stoplight. In drive at the stoplight my rpm's fluctuate from 1300 to 1000. The car feels like its going to stall. At the exhaust I can feel the miss out of both tail pipes. I replaced the plugs and I thought it was fixed, until it warmed up then it was the same old thing. Also replaced air and fuel filters. There was absolutely no oil on the plugs or in the plug wells. Is there any way to test the coils if I take them off? Or is there anything else I should be looking for?
Thanks...

Take it to Advance or Autozone or which one pulls the OBDII codes for free. Even though you may not have a check engine light on, there may be a pending code telling you which cylinders are misfiring. Ask me how I know this. I had to replace 2 coil on plugs on my 2002 at just over 50K. I did have the valve cover gaskets replaced earlier under warranty and oil was found in 4 wells.

Thanks I'll go down to Autozone today and have it checked. There is no "check engine" light lit at this time. Does anyone think there is any advantage to venting the covers over these coils to dissipate the heat?

If you remove the covers water will likely get into the cops and spark plugs and you will have some real misfires. As I recall there was a TSB about water getting in under the covers and causing misfires in cylinders 4 & 8 and had to be sealed better to keep moisture out.

Ok so venting the covers doesn't help, then scratch that idea. Has anyone just replaced the boots to cure this problem or is it the actual coils that are the usual culprit.

OK I went to Autozone. Here in CA they won't read the codes but they give you the machine if you leave a deposit then you go out to the parking lot read your codes and take it back in and get your deposit back. Anyway I had NO codes. It was still missing while setting at a stoplight. Idle was about 700 rpm in neutral and maybe 550 or 600 rpm in drive. Then I headed home, opened it up a little on the highway to 90+ and when I got home it ran fine with no missing at all. I don't know if I mentioned it but the car had been setting for almost a year without being started. Maybe it just needed to be blown out a little. So seems fine for now. Still have an AC problem (clutch not engaging) but I think I'll leave that one to the shop, I have a Friday appt.
Good Luck to all.

Thanks I'll go down to Autozone today and have it checked. There is no "check engine" light lit at this time. Does anyone think there is any advantage to venting the covers over these coils to dissipate the heat?

Its not the heat that's the problem. Its cheap coils, possibly combined with leaking valve cover gaskets. The 00-02 models had cheap valve cover gaksets which would start leaking after about 40k miles, the oil leaks into the spark plug wells and they fill up to the top, then it gets into the coil and degrades the internals causing it to misfire.
ALL years seem to have the cheap coils which will just up and die for no apperent reason.

LS V8 Misfiring

I had a problem with my LS (V8) misfiring also. It was the #3 and #6 coil. When first diagnosed at Advance Auto Parts, it did not code. Then at Auto Zone, it did not code. I took it to my brother's friend who checked it out and found the one coil was bad. He fixed it. A couple of weeks later, same problem...same diagnosis...same fix...another coil. A year later, I have been having issues with the car but not that one!

If the car sat for a year without being run your fuel probably varnished....

I put a fresh tank of premium in it and and some fuel system cleaner. But I've only driven it about 40 miles, so I'll give it a good drive this weekend and get some fuel ran through it. Hopefully no more issues.

Members online

Back