Another UK MKVII

£4+ per gallon...

Anyway, my Mark VII runs on LPG at 34 pence per litre ;)

Another one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1988-Lincoln-...4QQihZ006QQcategoryZ18301QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

attachment.jpg

2-tone.jpg

OldSchool1 said:
Did you explain how this works?
Might be something that we could do to?

It's quite common in some European countries although not that common in Britain yet. It's very popular in Sweden with American car owners.

Your best bet is to try an internet search for LPG.

However, In a (big) nutshell:

LPG stands for Liquid Petroleum Gas and is also known as Autogas. It is a blend of Propane and Butane gases. The blend varies from supplier to supplier. It is exactly the same as the bottled 'camping' gas for motorhomes/campers etc. The main supplier of which in the UK is Calor. UK Autogas is this same gas but with Fuel tax added on by our government.

When stored under pressure in the tank (mine's in the trunk) the 'gas' is actually a liquid. It's piped up to a device under the hood called a vapouriser. This lets some of the liquid out into a hose, releasing the pressure, whereupon the liquid fuel instantly turns back to a gas. This hose, containing the gas, is fed to another device called a mixer. The mixer can be attached to a carburettor or, as in the Mark VII, be installed in the air hose just ahead of the throttle body. The gas is allowed out of the mixer under atmospheric pressure only where it is sucked into the engine along with the air.

If you take a look at my gallery, in the engine shot you can see the rubber gas hose leading to a brass elbow in the air intake pipe. This in turn is connected to the mixer inside.

A device 'fools' the engine management into thinking that the injectors are working, thus allowing the ignition system to function.

More modern systems now use another set of gas injectors drilled & tapped into the inlet manifold in the same manner as the (petrol) injectors. With a dedicated management system. These are much more efficient.

It's actually all very simple, and very safe.

If I can answer any more questions then just fire away!

Hi Limey

How does an allready under powered car cope with the reduced power output from running on LPG?

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Limey

How does an allready under powered car cope with the reduced power output from running on LPG?

Regards

Dereck

225 bhp & plenty of torque. Underpowered?
Depends on your opinion I suppose, but performance only seems to suffer at high rpm and if you suddenly floor it.
With the newer multiple injection set-ups the performance is identical.

mespock said:
Hey Dereck... looks like you have some work to do.. Bring these Fellow UKers with you in July...

Hi Rich

You got trouble attracting U.K people to a car meet 5 miles down the road let alone halfway around the world.

Regards

Dereck

<you Guys crack me up>

Limey.

Thanks for the insight on the LPG.

Dereck made a great point about fuel prices between America and the UK:

"You drive the largest cars and pay almost the lowest amount for petroleum ..."

I'm one of those people that can't really get bent out of shape about paying $45.00 to fill my tank and then drive only about 225 - 250 miles in city traffic and average about 12 mpg in my Luxury Sport Coupe. In the UK, it would cost THREE TIMES as much to do the same thing in the same car with the same fuel under the same conditions.

If I had to pay $6.00US per gallon for gas, I think I'd look to switch at least one of my Marks over to LPG.

Members online

No members online now.
Back