Another transmisson question, searched....

scjmc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK bear with me please. I have an intermittant harsh 2-3 shift in my 06. I have no other symptoms. From searching and reading many threads throughout the years I have heard of harsh or delayed P-R and P-D engagement, and also 3-4, and 4-5 shifts. Is there a way to have the solenoid pack checked?

I ask this because I have 9 days left on my power train warranty, and if there is a sure fire way to cause the trans to malfunction if the solenoids are failing I would like to know.

Again, my only problem is intermittant harsh 2-3 shift. I put 120K on my GEN I myself, and I never had a harsh 2-3 shift in that car. I know what I am feeling.

Yes I replaced all 8 of my coils and plugs already the other week.

IIRC, the 2-3 shift is the hardest for the trans. The overdrive and transmission have to shift at the same time. If you didn't know, the LS uses a 3-speed transmission with an overdrive. There are six available gears, but, again, IIRC, the available gear between 1st and 2nd is is too close to be useful.

I did know about the gears. It is something like 1st 1st w/OD is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th is 4th w/OD.

I just hate the idea of my warranty expiring if I am at the beginning of a transmission issue. I traded my 02 LS with 140K and never had a trans issue with it.

I did know about the gears. It is something like 1st 1st w/OD is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th is 4th w/OD.

I just hate the idea of my warranty expiring if I am at the beginning of a transmission issue. I traded my 02 LS with 140K and never had a trans issue with it.

Regret trading the Gen 1....? :p I would def take it in to get looked at before the 9 days are up, Hope everything works out for ya.

Yeah I am gonna take it in. The problem is that the dealership is WAY out of town for me. Luckily it is only about an hour from my brother's house, and I was gonna go visit him soon anyway. I am just convinced that they will tell me that there is no problem and in three months I am replacing solenoids on my dime.

If you get a tuned from torrie, it will probably fix most of the harsh shifting. It fixed it for me, I would even brace myself when I would put it in reverse because it started shifting very harsh. Before I could take it to get the tranny fixed, I got a tune from torrie, to my surprise, it fixed the harsh shifting. This might and probably is just a temporary fix for now, the solenoid might be on its way out and its just a to prolong its life before getting back on track to where it was headed. So far so good with my tranny, no hard shifting ever since I got Torrie's tune or now with the dyno tune.

Ahhhh.... I am having these troubles in the middle of getting the car tuned. With any tunes installed the 2-3 shift is waaaay worse. I kept telling him that the shifts are too positive, and he finally said that he didnt know what was causing it. I went back and tried the origonal tune that I got and had the shifting issue as well. When I return to stock it almost goes away. I don't blame it on Torrie's tune, I think that I have a possible transmission issue and the tune just makes it more obvious.

Well I made an appointment for Friday to have the dealer look at it. Fingers crossed that it will act up enough for the dealer to fix it under warranty. I welcome any more input from anyone.

Well wish me luck. Driving about 220 miles to the dealership Friday morning. I am expecting them to tell me that there is nothing wrong with the trans, and I will foot the bill later. We will see how this works out.

My 2005 LS Ultima had transmission work done last year; the milage on the car was 43,658. The car felt “jerky” when accelerating, which was confirmed by the tech. To further quote the tech’s analysis:

“Vehicle feels jerky when accelerating. Traced to transmission. Trans was flaring and not staying engaged. Removed trans and inspection found servo bores worn. TSB repair #09-12-12. Repaired servo bores with kit and overhauled trans”

In layman’s terms, apparently the servo bores wear because the steel shafts operation against the aluminum case holes. I was told that the repair consists of increasing the diameter of the holes and inserting steel sleeves.

Anyhow, you may have a different issue but at least you can ask whether the above TSB applies to your car, and have it fixed under warranty. Otherwise, this would be a costly repair that I was told Ford does not cover once the warranty expires, even though they are aware of this failure mode (thus the TSB).

Thanks for the info. At the dealer now. Trans tech took a ride with me. 1 shift into third and he was like "solenoids". He also mentioned the possibility of servo bore wear. Now they are in the process of tryin to find record of my warranty. They are literally making copies of my paperwork.

Thanks for the info. At the dealer now. Trans tech took a ride with me. 1 shift into third and he was like "solenoids". He also mentioned the possibility of servo bore wear. Now they are in the process of tryin to find record of my warranty. They are literally making copies of my paperwork.

nice, good to hear it worked out for you... just in time haha

Ok, so as expected the dealer I saying that solenoids are bad per tear down. They are covering it under warranty yay. Shoul be ready Monday.

Ok, so as expected the dealer I saying that solenoids are bad per tear down. They are covering it under warranty yay. Shoul be ready Monday.

Glad to hear you are being taken care of. It sounds like you have a technician that knows these transmissions, which is a huge benefit.

Yeah, I got lucky that the trans tech was good. I figured that they would say that nothing was wrong and I would have to pay for it later. The dealer called about an hour ago and said that it was ready. Gonna go get her in a few and start the 4 hour drive home.

Members online

No members online now.
Back