Another questions about changing MAF in a MarkVIII

Dr. Paul

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that people are changing their MAF sensors in their Lincolns as a way to make more power...

Is there a reason for this? Is the stock MAF inadequate to supply enough air to a naturally aspirated 4V 4.6? I know from my Mustang experience that a naturally aspirated 2V 4.6 won't even come close to pegging the meter (maxing out transfer function voltage to the ECU), and that's even with headwork, cams, increased compression, etc... Has someone hooked a meter to the MAF signal wire to measure transfer voltage during a WOT pull on a dyno?

I can see the benefit of doing this in a blown/turbo application, but I'm unsure of it for naturally aspirated. Has anyone done a good solid back-to-back dyno test with only this mod to determine a net increase in power?

Just wondering if there's data on this...

Paul.

You are right, I had gotten a C&L for future builds. Stock is more than enough for the majority bolt ons.

When I monitered my maf voltage it read about .2 lower than what it was supposed to be at WOT. same at idle..... If you dont have the correct sample tube, your car is gauranteed to run like sh1t. I have yet to buy the correct sample tube...

I have a C&L housing also... I tried to use the 5.0 meter that came with the housing..... and it didnt work..:shifty:

torquemonkey said:

I am very skeptical. I just simply don't see how a MAF on this car would pick up that kind of power when a 4.6 4V naturally aspirated just doesn't have enormous air volume demands.

Until I see independent third-party well-constructed dyno testing, I don't believe it. If the existing MAF was 30mm in diameter, I could maybe see it - but I just don't buy it.

Paul.

torquemonkey said:
Know of a local dyno shop? Lets put it to the test.

I sure do. I'd be more than willing to pay for the test if someone had the product. I could do it the same day I end up dynoing/tuning my Mustang.

Paul.

I'll let you know when it comes time to tune the AEM on my Mustang. My tuner and I will add in another half hour to make a few pulls with the mighty Lincoln of Death. I have the coolest video ever from my last dyno with it, but it's 22 megs and I can't host it. :(

Paul.

Members online

No members online now.
Back