another overheater

abes_linc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 03 Lincoln ls V8 I've been having problems with it overheating I've replaced a cracked degas bottle, thermostat, leaking waterpump. The previous owner replaced the plastic pieces by the thermostat and the radiator hoses. I've used leak dye in the cooling system and have found no leaks. I can still smell coolant as istep out of the vehicle I drive with the heater on and the temp gauge stays in the middle mark. When I drive with the heater on my fan spins normal, but if I turn theheat off the fans come on high speednd the engine temp rises. I also noticed the radiator is hot on the passenger side and cool on the drivers side. I was thinking of removing the radiator to see if its clogged. And figured I'd also check the auxiliary pump also. my question is if the auxiliary pump is bad will it cause the car to over heat??

... I can still smell coolant as istep out of the vehicle ...

You have a coolant leak. I promise that if you smell coolant, it is leaking. Most likely it is on top of the engine at the front where most of it evaporates off before you see it. I bet they didn't replace the 45 degree angel plastic pipe from the top of the engine (water pump outlet) to the thermostat and crossover pipe.

... if the auxiliary pump is bad will it cause the car to over heat??

If it is bad as in it isn't working, then no. If it is bad as in it is leaking, then yes. From your description, it sounds like it is working.

All of the plastic pieces under the throttle body area were replaced and if it was still leaking then even tho it evaps easily shouldn't I still be able to see the leak dye?

If you smell it, it's leaking somewhere. It's as simple as that.

Could it come from that top piece of the degas bottle? Next to where thatline goes. Anyways I switched the cap with the one from the cracked degas bottle and idled the car and the temp seemed to stay normal I won't know for sure if that's the fix until I can really drive the car and see how it reacts but thanks for the info.

If you used other than a Motorcraft degas tank I would suspect that failed. Non-Motorcraft bottles are well known for short life-spans.

Ok I'm back. I've replaced the degas bottle and thermostat in march I've replaced it twice since .I found a crack in the water out let so I replaced that then I noticed the water neck behind it was comming apart i replaced that along with the radiator since they were both only $50 ea. The previous owner replaced the water hoses from the radiator my car still keeps overheating and I can feel when it starts overheating because I feel the bubbling through the brake peddal I hear the fan come on and Ive flushed the cooling system and my heat works. This is everything I can think of that I've done . So my question is what's next I'm lost oh and I've bled the system everytime

Ok I'm back. I've replaced the degas bottle and thermostat in march I've replaced it twice since .I found a crack in the water out let so I replaced that then I noticed the water neck behind it was comming apart i replaced that along with the radiator since they were both only $50 ea. ...

So, you replaced with used parts? (You didn't get a new radiator at $50.) Put all new, OEM, cooling system parts on and fill and bleed exactly by the factory procedure. (Include the hoses that you think the other guy replaced.)

I used all new parts if I was going to use used I would have just went to the junk yard

Members online

No members online now.
Back