Another one of those exhuast questions

95Marklll(Kingcobra)

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Right now its basic no mufflers 3.5 16 inch chrome tips in there place, everyone I know loves the sound not 1 complaint everyone ask if I have flowmasters. I want to get rid of all cats and resonator, but keep the sound and still have the back pressure I need. So would a resonator or 2 be enough back pressure for my car and also keep the sound, I figured It be a little cleaner sound with resonators and without 3 cats and the stock resonator prob get 20 hp and better throttle response.

You don't need backpressure, period - you do need exhaust gas velocity. If you remove the cats and resonator you will need at least a couple of glasspacks or equivalent for it to be bearable to drive IMO. I would try it with the glasspack mounted upstream from the rear axle and try that... so that if you need to you can add another set or some mufflers in the stock position.

Back pressure needed or not..... this is debated A LOT. On the 4.6L DOHC, the engine will run fine without it as far as I have experienced. I drove mine 25 miles to the exhaust shop with the entire exhaust system MIA! :) I know and have seen some cars not turn over unless there is back pressure.... go figure.

Why would you take your cats off? They are there for a reason. I also have the tips like you plus I removed my resinator. It sounds like a cobra or a roush when it comes down the road. Taking off the resinator does a lot for the sound. I would NEVER remove my cats though as they are needed to pass emissions + it's illegal.

2nd on no backpressure.

you need velocity as previously posted. know what a gutted cat does? its basically an expansion chamber that kills velocity.

I dunno about that backpressure/velocity stuff, but I can tell you that when I had my Y-pipe removed (car running with just the DS cat attached, no other pipe to speak of) the car would try to stall if I didn't hold the gas down just a little bit. Sucker sounded MEAN though!

Right now its basic no mufflers 3.5 16 inch chrome tips in there place, everyone I know loves the sound not 1 complaint everyone ask if I have flowmasters. I want to get rid of all cats and resonator, but keep the sound and still have the back pressure I need. So would a resonator or 2 be enough back pressure for my car and also keep the sound, I figured It be a little cleaner sound with resonators and without 3 cats and the stock resonator prob get 20 hp and better throttle response.

Don't cut the cats ... even where I live (where you don't have emission testing and could run without cats) ... we still keep the cats on. You could cut the 3rd cat if you wanted... but it's not needed. Just drop off the resonator and replace with a piece of exhaust pipe... you should be fine if you want loud...

You will want something to muffle the sound... personally I'd just keep it as it is..

You are not going to gain 20 hp. And if you did you couldn't even tell.

What you should do is work on your air intake. Seeing you did a little with your exhaust... if you want air flow... air intake to exhaust... work on both side.

I'm not 100% but I think you will also need a chip to help tune the car to the new air flow. That is if you really want to notice anything.

Frogman Correct all of my errors .... but please be kind :p :shifty: :D
:rolleyes: Luv ya man:cool:

What you should do is work on your air intake.

Yeah, get rid of the intake silencer/resonator if you haven't already! You'll notice a nice difference in the engine sound the minute you hit 3k RPM.

I SURE noticed a whole new intake note when my conical went on! amazing growl from the engine!

Yup I got intake and installed it last week. It sure does change the note. Especially on the highway! oh man...it gives the engine a mean grunt.

Here a inexpensive Cold Air Intake..

vbpgimage.php

And here is MINE :p It really was pretty cheap, I picked up the Cobra intake tube and filter housing for $30 - but had to use the Gen II intake tube with it, the Cobra one did not fit right - plus its restrictive. So now I have a new tube for the hamster to run around in.

DSC04241.jpg

I did make a cold air intake, I stripped down the box to the maf and put on a maf adapter and threw on a conical filter. I love 2 things about it the hiss and the top end, I can hear the thing sucking in even with my loud exhuast, lol. I capped off the 1 silencor and soon I will be getting rid of the second rectangular one molded to the tube, Ill fiber glass over the holes. But my whole thing with the cats is this, I live in florida in a small town that has no emission checks, I also have a friend with a shop that will do all the work for free, all this is costing me is a glasspack or 2, all cats are to me is restriction Id rather have them go. How would a single glasspack or bullet between the centor of my exhuast sound?

:waving: :lol: My MAF is bigger than yours :p :F

And here is MINE :p It really was pretty cheap, I picked up the Cobra intake tube and filter housing for $30 - but had to use the Gen II intake tube with it, the Cobra one did not fit right - plus its restrictive. So now I have a new tube for the hamster to run around in.

DSC04241.jpg

I was just looking at some glasspacks and i seen these thrush there cheap like 25 bucks each, I just heard a car with these things it was a old delta with a 307 sounded good. Are those thrush dependable, 25 seems cheap will they b blowing out on me 2 months from now? I was thinking stock pipes no cats or resonator and a 31 inch thrush glasspack in the center of the X, will that b enough gas velocity for the car?

Members online

Back