another oil in coil well post

beaups

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
well,

I had a squeaky belt for the last week. Replaced it, no more squeak. What a pain that was...I never imagined a belt could be so tricky.

Anyhow, decided to do plugs to. another pain. my car has lost probably 25% of it's power (mainly in the lowend) about 3-4 months ago so I figured this couldn't hurt.

Noticed a small amount of oil in one of the wells on the passenger side. Not a lot but enough to bug me.

On the driver's side 3 of the 4 wells had a significant amount of oil in them (one of them probably a tablespoon).

Couple Q's. 1.) wasn't this problem fixed for 03? 2.) could this be causing my power issues (no stumbling except 45-60 in fourth). 3.) can you replace just the BOOTS and not the entire coil? (I noticed the boots can come off...or at least spin). 4.) Could replacing spark plugs be any more of a PITA???????

Thanks

Whoa...you are describing the coil problem for '00-'02s. The stumbling is usually noticed from 40-60 mph. You saying you have an '03 and are having the same issues? You can just replace the boots, but that probably won't fix your problem. :(

These damn coils, I had two bad ones couple of weeks ago. I replaced all of them. Most of the 00-02 LSs here have had that problem, and now an 03. The damn FORD don't know how to make sh!t.

HyeLifeLS said:
These damn coils, I had two bad ones couple of weeks ago. I replaced all of them. Most of the 00-02 LSs here have had that problem, and now an 03. The damn FORD don't know how to make sh!t.
Yeah, I mean ONE WHOLE CAR from the '03 MY has exhibited the problem, so Ford obviously can't make sh!t. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's just a manufacturing defect on one car. That does happen, y'know...

beaups said:
4.) Could replacing spark plugs be any more of a PITA???????
Ask the guys who drove muscle cars in the late '60s who had to PULL THE MOTOR to change the plugs. I think they'd say the answer to your question is a big-time yes. :D

I believe the gaskets and seals were redesigned in an attempt to prevent the old "oil in the plug well" trick, but any seal can fail. It's just the nature of the beast.

:runaway: I wanna 03 LS (I don't, I like mine better).

Beaups, I am not sure what causes the problem you are having, so, I will agree with what Sooner said.

Just did the passenger side of my 00, took almost all day. The new black seals for the plug wells were much better design than the flat gray ones that were in there. My 00 has 103K on it. The dealer replaced two coils on the drivers side already. 600 dollars for the first one and I took the car home and the SEL was back on in 15 minutes and they wanted another 350 to change another coil. I was hot

Members online

Back