Another missfire question

gambling209

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 v6. When it gets cold outside and the motor is cold. I have a bad start issue. Runs really ruff and motor won’t rev. Once you get it to rev. It usually cleans up and runs well. Never does it if the motor is warm. Ran the codes. It originally said misfire on cylinders one and two. I replaced the connectors to the coals. Then replaced the coils and the spark plugs. Misfire on number two went away but I still have the misfire on number one. No liquid down in the spark plug holes on either cylinder. Thoughts? Doesn’t do this in the summertime.

I made a smoke machine. I’ll smoke test it, but I don’t think that’s what it is. As soon as i mash the gas pedal and get it to rev one time. It runs fine. Usually takes a couple seconds.

I made a smoke machine. I’ll smoke test it, but I don’t think that’s what it is. As soon as i mash the gas pedal and get it to rev one time. It runs fine. Usually takes a couple seconds.
You gap the plugs? Try using # 2 spark plug and #2 Coil Over Plug in cylinder #1 and spark plug #1 with # 1 Coil Over Plug in Cylinder #2 basically switch/swap the plugs and Coils ...report back and let me know what happened?

I know I'm like a broken record when it comes to gapping plugs and using dielectric grease on Coil over plugs but with 20,000 and no misfires after gapping plugs and using dielectric grease it's been the first line of defense using aftermarket COPs

Did gap plugs. I just replaced the number one and two with new coil and plugs. That will make the third time replaced. After replacing the connectors on one and two. I no longer have the misfire on two. Only cylinder one. I don’t have the problem or it’s not really as noticeable in warmer weather. Also I always use dielectric grease on the connector and plugs.

This may seem crazy, but how old is your battery? If over 3 years old, you might consider replacing it before spending too much time trying to track down the cylinder #1 misfire. I experienced a random stall that would only happen in colder weather when the engine was cold. Back out of the driveway, step on the brake to shift from Reverse to Drive, and the LS V6 would stall. It would start back up and run fine the rest of the day. After trying several things with not success, I replaced the battery just because the voltage wasn't as high as I thought it should be after sitting overnight. As soon as I did, the random stalling completely ceased. I suspect that starting the engine (which seemed to spin over just fine when cold) dropped the system voltage, and backing down the driveway at idle speed didn't really allow the alternator to charge it much, then stepping on the brake pedal just dropped the voltage enough to get in to the gray area/tri-state zone of the PCM. Oh, during the cold season around here, and because the car was in the garage, the headlights were also typically on for this first start of the day too.

If the battery is about 3 years old or more, you're probably not wasting money replacing it anyway, even if it doesn't fix the misfire.

-Rod

Members online

Back