Another Misfire

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello again my friends, :) long time no see i know, lol. Well my first problem with my ls. I was driving back from south dakota and was passing somebody on the highway when all of a sudden i get a engine light blinking, at first it was blinking but by the time i had stopped somewhere and turned the car off it was constant. I could definately feel there wasn't a cylinder firing or something (rough idle) and man did it struggle going up a pretty steep hill. Well i took it to the shop and code showed up misfire cylinder 3. Ok no biggy, change the coil, right. Well then he suggests i should go ahead and replace the boots because they noticed quite a bit of oil on the plugs when they pulled them out. They first thought it was the car trying to compensate for the misfire,so i said go ahead and replace all the boots and then i figured i better change the valve cover gasket also. Ok they get it alll back together, and i said i would pick it up that afternoon, and he said he would test drive one more time before i picked it up, he had driven 8 miles to make sure everything was ok.. Well I get there and the car hood is open once again, and i guess he said his second test show cylinder 3 misfiring. Is it likely that just two coils went out or going out at the same time. I have talked to him recently so i am not sure where he is at now. Just getting nervous if it may be something else is all.

At least you got a CEL, I have to play the replace and test drive game. I don't know which one is misfiring!!!
When the gaskets were replaced it was the complete kit right? You can buy the pieces needed seperately . . . Were the gaskets around the plug wells replaced or just the perimeter gasket replaced?
Oh, by the way, I did the gaskets myself . . . now they leak were they weren't before so now I get to redo the drivers side again!

oK i am going to pick up that car today after work. But Vern says that his little computer he takes with him on the test drive shows like a cetain number of misfires on cylinder 3, and he swapped out the new coil on 2 and put it on 3 instead. And same thing, his computer shows misses in like a 16 mile test drive. But the car computer doesn't show any codes. Is there any inexpensive way for testing what the problem could be.. Has anyone had problems with injectors at 90,000 miles. or he said it could be carbon build up on the lifter or something and not closing completely, or exhaust leak. I have no idea what to tell him to do next. He said to drive it awhile and see if a code shows up, he says he doesn't feel any misses while at idle or driving. But i don't want to ruin the engine, after 20,000 miles or whatever and 7 cylinders have wear while the 8 cylinder isnt running complete like it should.

Guess i don't know what to do, i am not mechanically cordinated like most here unfortunately, but i love driving..lol.. Thanks guys

I'm in the same bind. Have you looked at the connection to the coil? Is it on snug? Another thing, has your car been reflashed? I don't know much about the reflash except for posts here . . . you might want to look into that.
If you think it might be an injector put some good fuel injector cleaner in a half tank of gas and take it for a run down the highway to see if that helps. It might point you in the right direction. (fuel filter?)

Members online

No members online now.
Back