Another misfire thread

HDDave

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think I have a bad fuel injector - I am getting one tonight after work and I'm hoping to replace it (if anyone has any kind of tech article I'd appreciate it).

Here's a little background:
Last week my CEL came on. I had it checked and it reported a misfire on cyl #3. I picked up an aftermarket coil (NAPA) and replaced the coil on #3 and cleared the codes. The car ran fine for about 5 minutes on the highway and started misfiring again - barely noticeable but there. I researched a little on here and read about problems with aftermarket coils. In the meantime the same CEL for #3 came on. I got a Ford coil and went in and swapped the coil and plug from #2 to #3 and put the new coil and a new plug in cylinder #2. I got about a day of good running before another CEL on #3. I have checked the coils and plugs on #2, #3, and #4. None of then show oil other than a trace amount on the outside of the boot - no pool in the cylinders or burnt oil on the outside of the boots.

I am getting 3 more coils, a set of Motorcraft plugs, and a fuel injector after work. I would like to replace the injector only and see if that clears it up. I have done numerous searches on here about bad injectors and cylinders misfiring. I have had a couple of times where I get a hard start and I have to floor the accelerator before starting it. Seems to do the trick and I get a puff of smoke and it smells like gas. Sometimes the car will run great for about 15 minutes and then it starts to stumble and when I stop at a light I can smell gas. I really want to take care of this before I have to buy a converter too.

Everyone on this forum has been really helpful with other problems - Does anybody have any advice on the problem and if it sounds like the injector on how to change it? I'm not sure what else I have to worry about besides relieving the pressure at the schraeder valve and being careful not to break the clip on the injector itself...

Oh yeah - I have an '02 LS with the 3.9 V8

sure sounds like an injector problem to me. somebody else'll need to chime in to advise on how to change.

Ok ive got that problem now. I had a #1 misfire. i got a new coil and realized all cylinders were flooded, so i swapped out the VCG, then drove her and no difference. then i changed the plugs. A little smoother. then i though since the vaccum line was cracked it might be that so i fabbed a new one. and the CEL just came on. im in a los for words. what could it be.

you getting any black smoke out of the exhaust? this is sure sign of major rich condition and/or leaky injector.

:)
Well - mine seems to be fixed (fingers crossed). I replaced the injector on cylinder #3 and put new coils and plugs on the rest of the cylinders on that side. Started it up and she purrs like a kitten!! Started on the first crank too - that was a first since I got it. Usually it turns over at least once or twice before it catches.

I will find out tomorrow for sure - I have to drive to Boston so that should give it a good workout....

Members online

Back