Another LS Suspension Question

Limerockracer

LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to thank this forum for much needed information on the LS. Lots of valuable postings on this site.

I recently purchased a 2002 V6/5spd Sport with 35k. After 2000 miles of driving, I am very impressed with the car. FLM did a great job on the design and execution of this package.

That said, I want to do a bit on the suspension. Having read many of the posts on springs and tires, it appears that the Eibach springs are an acceptable product from a ride perspective (I live in the NYC area so the roads aren't the smoothest). It also appears that a 245/45x17 will fit as a replacement for the stock tire size.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone installed the Euro spec shock absorbers on their car, and if so, did the ride suffer? I rode in a new LS (2005) and its ride was significantly firmer than on my 2002 Sport (and that was on smooth NC roads!).

2. I want to install wider wheels (17 x 8, 17 x 8.5, or an 18" in the same width range). There doesn't seem to be a great selection. I prefer a aluminum cast wheel (sorry, chrome is too much bling for me). I have done the web search and hit most of the wheel discounters. A few 17 x 7 wheels, but that is going backwards from the stock 17 x 7.5 width. Does anyone have a suggestion on wheel and source.

TIA for any help.

Limerockracer

First of all, Welcome to LvC!

To answer your shock question go to this thread:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=7840&highlight=Shocks

I listed a chart showing the different part numbers for the base and sport shocks. Ford shows three different shocks for the LS and they are base, sport and european. Those range from soft to the firmest in order. I have never run the european shock but I have known some folks that did and they said it was like not having shocks at all. They are very stiff. I would recommend not going any firmer than the sport version shock. I made a mistake and put on Monroe Sensatrac shocks thinking they would be between the OEM base and sport shock in stiffness. Boy, was I wrong. They are extremely soft and would make a great cushy shock if someone was looking for that in the LS.

As for the wheels, remember that the OEM 17" wheel is 7" wide with a 60mm offset. I currently run 18"x8" wheels and I really don't think going any wider than that is a good thing. Especially if the new wheel has too little or too much offset. You could run into rubbing and clearance issues. There is plenty of good sources for wheels on the internet. Just remember the bolt pattern size (5x108), offset requirements and you'll be good to go. Post pics of your news wheels once you get them.

Ken,

Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about a super stiff shock for our roads in the NE. I will stay with the Sport shocks.

I will continue looking for wheels. I most certainly will post a photo if I find something nice.

Regards,

Bill Umstead

GrayGhost1 said:
First of all, Welcome to LvC!

To answer your shock question go to this thread:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=7840&highlight=Shocks

I listed a chart showing the different part numbers for the base and sport shocks. Ford shows three different shocks for the LS and they are base, sport and european. Those range from soft to the firmest in order. I have never run the european shock but I have known some folks that did and they said it was like not having shocks at all. They are very stiff. I would recommend not going any firmer than the sport version shock. I made a mistake and put on Monroe Sensatrac shocks thinking they would be between the OEM base and sport shock in stiffness. Boy, was I wrong. They are extremely soft and would make a great cushy shock if someone was looking for that in the LS.

As for the wheels, remember that the OEM 17" wheel is 7" wide with a 60mm offset. I currently run 18"x8" wheels and I really don't think going any wider than that is a good thing. Especially if the new wheel has too little or too much offset. You could run into rubbing and clearance issues. There is plenty of good sources for wheels on the internet. Just remember the bolt pattern size (5x108), offset requirements and you'll be good to go. Post pics of your news wheels once you get them.

Members online

Back