another gas question

apl

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know the lincoln ls runs on super. I only use it. My question is are people on these forums using super unleaded gas from say costco or BJ'S. I know this is a no name gas compared to a known such as Sunoco. I have a friend that used to work in the oil rigging etc field. He was not impressed by the no name gas. Is it bad to fun the LS on no name super unleaded?

I know the lincoln ls runs on super. I only use it. My question is are people on these forums using super unleaded gas from say costco or BJ'S. I know this is a no name gas compared to a known such as Sunoco. I have a friend that used to work in the oil rigging etc field. He was not impressed by the no name gas. Is it bad to fun the LS on no name super unleaded?

Since Costco started selling their Clean Power (I think that's what they call it) here I've used it with no issues. I used it before they added the additives and after a few months noticed longer starting times at which point I returned to Shell/Chevron. After about 3 months of the Clean Power I don't notice any difference between Costco and Shell or Chevron; other than the ~$.20 per gallon price difference! I would stay away from the independents except in an emergency.

People will probably disagree with me here and that's ok but gas comes from 2-3 major brands. All those no name brands get their gas from one of the 3 major brands and sell it as their own. So to me, it makes no difference where I get my gas. As long as you're using super, you're fine.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-reason-not-to-use-cheap-off-brand-gas-2013-8

The basic fuel is the same. It's the additives (cleaning agents) added at the stations that make the difference. Like I said, instead of firing right up when I turned the key with the branded fuel, with the Costco "basic" fuel I was getting longer cranking times and around 40 fewer miles per tank. YMMV.

You're still getting additives with the cheap gas, you may get additional additives from brand name gas stations but the gas itself is no different and will not harm your vehicle in any way. The gas station that's offbrand by me - I think its "Pit Stop" buys it's gas from Hess. Most of the offbrands buy their gas from one of the bigger brands, Hess, BP, etc. I've never had any issues with any off brand gas.

You're still getting additives with the cheap gas, you may get additional additives from brand name gas stations but the gas itself is no different and will not harm your vehicle in any way. The gas station that's offbrand by me - I think its "Pit Stop" buys it's gas from Hess. Most of the offbrands buy their gas from one of the bigger brands, Hess, BP, etc. I've never had any issues with any off brand gas.

True. Down here there is a "tank farm" where everyone gets their gas. The stations then add their own cleaners (from what I understand Techron is still the best) above and beyond the minimum the gummint requires. Most independents buy whatever fuel the majors have left over after their tanks are filled. I'm not saying it will "hurt" the engine per-sé; but over time steady use will create deposits on the valves and in the injectors. Back in the days of carburetors and "loose" engines things like gas and oil didn't really matter much, but now days with "tight" engines and computer controlled injection it matters a lot. I would never run a straight 30weight oil in any of my cars now, but I didn't hesitate to with my '65 Mustang, '71 Sebring or '78 Sapporo.

All I know is I get more miles per tank and quicker starts with quality fuel.

Beyond the gas itself you want to look at finding a higher-volume station. The stations that move more premium gas will have a better quality gas as it won't be able to collect as many contaminants. In Florida the big contaminant is water from all the humidity in the air. Ethanol absorbs water. The gas will also lose it's octane over time but in theory if the tankers are doing their job they top it off with additives to make it good. I have personally had good luck just gassing up at the shell down the street from my house. Sure I pay $1.50 more for a full tank but the car never feels weak or bogs like with some random el-cheapo gas station.

No knock on your guy, but a roughneck doesn't necessarily know much about the refining, distribution and post-processing of gas.

I only use the minor brands when I feel like being cheap. But 2weeks ago I filled up on kangaroo(if you know of it) gas n my car felt alil sluggish all 2 weeks compared to last night when I filled up on shell v power premium. In my opinion, I say for every time you use any less major name brand, fill up with bp,shell,Sunoco,e or exxon premium(I prefer shell/bp) to kind of clear up the gunk from the minor name brands. And maybe get a fuel system cleaning every now and then.

I use regular unleaded and I have no issues. of course I only use the name brand gas, sunoco, speedway, or bp. But I use injection cleaner additives at least once a month or more. It's an extra 3 dollars but I have no issues with performance.

I use regular unleaded and I have no issues. of course I only use the name brand gas, sunoco, speedway, or bp. But I use injection cleaner additives at least once a month or more. It's an extra 3 dollars but I have no issues with performance.

If you are using less than 91 octane, you are having performance issues. Maybe just not enough for you to be aware of.
If your knock sensor ever fails, prepare to be replacing the engine, especially if your "regular" is 87 octane.

I have an 03 and it's ran off unleaded since day 1. My mechanic has a very in depth code checker/tuner tool. I mean it's a basicly a computer and everything is firing and responding to a t. The only issue I have is when it got -15 here my o2 sensor stuck on startup and is now running lean. But like I said it was frigid and everything wants to go wrong at those temps. And yes my regular is 87

I use 87 regular sometimes but like you said its bp/shell along with the cleaner, I only do like half a tank them go back to 93 once it's low again

And yes my regular is 87

well then everything is not that great then, at least your car is smart enough to figure out that someone put the wrong fuel in it and is luckily pulling timing for you so that your engine does not kaboom, the side effects to this are poorer mileage, and lower performance. all to save $4 a tankful...

Would switching to a higher octane do anything if I don't flush it first? I'm running what the previous owner ran. I didn't think it needed a higher octane

Would switching to a higher octane do anything if I don't flush it first? I'm running what the previous owner ran. I didn't think it needed a higher octane

You didn't read the owner's manual or the sticker on the fuel door?
No need to "flush it first."

Guys, my friend has a mitsubishi montero that requires premium, in order for him to save on gas he always put regular gas (87). Then suddenly his engine acted weird, turns out to be a costly repair. You never know when.

My continental says "premium recommended" and I put in regular gas, there's a drop in gas mileage but it's ok. The LS is different, it says "premium required (91+)"

I haven't read requirements on gas no. Never thought I had a reason to. I've only put 300 miles on it in the few weeks I've had it. I'm still learning all there is to know about it. That's the main reason I joined this group. There are a lot of preferred methods to anything but nothing beats user knowledge. Thanks for the input. I'll be switching over immediately.

I have an 03 and it's ran off unleaded since day 1. My mechanic has a very in depth code checker/tuner tool. I mean it's a basicly a computer and everything is firing and responding to a t. The only issue I have is when it got -15 here my o2 sensor stuck on startup and is now running lean. But like I said it was frigid and everything wants to go wrong at those temps. And yes my regular is 87

We could only hope you were using unleaded lol

There's a reason the ENGINEERS (you know, the people responsible for making sure the engine will be healthy) had the 91+ REQUIREMENT put in the owner's manual as well as a nice sticker on the fuel door. It's been said before and I'll say it again. If one can't afford something as simple as the correct fuel, what else is being left to dodgy maintenance? Like loud said, you're paying either way; fewer MPG and less performance vs. the extra $3 at the pump. If $3 will make or break you you're driving the wrong car!!!!!!!

Can't afford to fuel ANY car with the required/recommended (don't you think there is a reason "recommended" was mentioned?) fuel? You bought the wrong vehicle!!!!!

As I replied earlier. I'm new to the ls. I bought it a few weeks ago and I have a few projects in mind for it. The weather has been so terrible in North Central Indiana that I haven't had the chance to start digging into specs or the nitty gritty on vehicle maintenance. I was told regular unleaded so, being ignorant to the info I just recieved, that's what I have been running. Also as I said before I'll be switching the next time I fill up. And there is no sticker on my fuel door stating octane rating.

As I replied earlier. I'm new to the ls. I bought it a few weeks ago and I have a few projects in mind for it. The weather has been so terrible in North Central Indiana that I haven't had the chance to start digging into specs or the nitty gritty on vehicle maintenance. I was told regular unleaded so, being ignorant to the info I just recieved, that's what I have been running. Also as I said before I'll be switching the next time I fill up. And there is no sticker on my fuel door stating octane rating.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but we've been over this ad nauseam..... This should on the inside fuel door....

99121-image-23.jpg

99121-image-23.jpg

It's cool. Compared to me yall r the experts. I just went and looked again to be sure and there is no sticker. There prolly should be one, and it's surprising there's not because the rest of the car has been so well taken care. It still feels brand new inside and out.

It's cool. Compared to me y'all are the experts. I just went and looked again to be sure and there is no sticker. There prolly should be one, and it's surprising there's not because the rest of the car has been so well taken care. It still feels brand new inside and out.

Hmmmmmm....... Makes me wonder if the person that sold the car removed it so they could say it uses 87 octane. Somewhere here (I believe) is a link to the OM.

Enjoy the LS, it's an excellent piece of machinery!!!

Members online

Back