AND alarm problems

LunaEros

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
In addition to my airbag indicator and B1995 problems, I'm apparently also having problems with the alarm. It seems to be intermittent but I think the alarm isn't activating all the time. Sometimes when I lock and arm it it acts normal but other times when I do I get the chirp but the lights don't flash and the armed indicator in the windshield doesn't come on and blink. I just went to see if the airbag indicator came on when I first turn the key on (it doesn't) and I noticed the armed light wasn't flashing. I thought maybe I didn't arm it and tried the door but it was locked so I hit the lock button again and the indicator started flashing. I went in and checked the airbag light and then hit the lock button again and it's acting up again. No flash for arm and no blinking red light.
Anyone got an idea of what could be causing this?
I think this started a bit before I installed the head unit but I may be wrong and it might've started after. I connected the stereo only to the radio and amp harness and just tapped the third one for the steering control. Nothing else so I don't know how it could've caused any of these problems I'm having.

In addition to my airbag indicator and B1995 problems, I'm apparently also having problems with the alarm. It seems to be intermittent but I think the alarm isn't activating all the time. Sometimes when I lock and arm it it acts normal but other times when I do I get the chirp but the lights don't flash and the armed indicator in the windshield doesn't come on and blink. I just went to see if the airbag indicator came on when I first turn the key on (it doesn't) and I noticed the armed light wasn't flashing. I thought maybe I didn't arm it and tried the door but it was locked so I hit the lock button again and the indicator started flashing. I went in and checked the airbag light and then hit the lock button again and it's acting up again. No flash for arm and no blinking red light.
Anyone got an idea of what could be causing this?
I think this started a bit before I installed the head unit but I may be wrong and it might've started after. I connected the stereo only to the radio and amp harness and just tapped the third one for the steering control. Nothing else so I don't know how it could've caused any of these problems I'm having.
What year?...engine? I have the 2001 and 2006 workshop manual...is your LS a 1st or 2nd gen?

2002 3.9L V8 Premium Sport
I have them too. Didn't think to look in there for that.

Ok. I've noticed there's a pattern with it. The lights flash and dash LED won't work when arming/locking the car only after the car has been driven. After it has sat a while, they will work again. For example. When I drive to work (20-25 minutes) they won't work. But when I come out at first break 3 hours later and try to unarm/rearm it they work again and continue to do so until after I drive home. I haven't seen any symptoms in the shop manual matching this. I'll see if FORScan has any codes showing related to it but I looked at FORScan the other day when the airbag indicator stopped working and I was having this alarm problem then but didn't see any code related to it so I doubt I will this time either.

Ok. I've noticed there's a pattern with it. The lights flash and dash LED won't work when arming/locking the car only after the car has been driven. After it has sat a while, they will work again. For example. When I drive to work (20-25 minutes) they won't work. But when I come out at first break 3 hours later and try to unarm/rearm it they work again and continue to do so until after I drive home. I haven't seen any symptoms in the shop manual matching this. I'll see if FORScan has any codes showing related to it but I looked at FORScan the other day when the airbag indicator stopped working and I was having this alarm problem then but didn't see any code related to it so I doubt I will this time either.
Have you tried to reprogram your key FOB with forscan and see if this will help? Maybe worth a try

I don't see how it would need it. Everything works using the remote after the car has sat a while. The remote also locks the doors and will chirp the horn after hitting the button twice right after driving it, it just won't flash the lights or blink the dash LED.

I don't see how it would need it. Everything works using the remote after the car has sat a while. The remote also locks the doors and will chirp the horn after hitting the button twice right after driving it, it just won't flash the lights or blink the dash LED.
is there a fuse for the red dash light and/or the component that controls flashing the lights?

Might be good to check this fuse in the passenger Compartment Fuse Panel
Fuse/Relay Location Fuse #7
Amp Rating 5A
Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel

DDM, DSM, Anti-theft LED, Security Horn, PCM, Power Mirror

I think I found out what it is. I remembered when I had the battery drain before that I read the car monitors the network and goes into low power mode after a certain amount of time provided it doesn't see anything being used, i.e. all the modules not operating. Then I remembered the new Android head unit I installed doesn't turn off. It goes into a standby state at first and then a sleep mode. I went and found the spec for the current use and timing of this. It goes into a sleep state powered down level at around six minutes. I tested it this morning when i got home. It wouldn't arm but sure enough, six minutes later it did arm. So it must be the head units drain until it enters sleep mode that's not letting the alarm arm right away.
Not sure how I can work around it though.

I think I found out what it is. I remembered when I had the battery drain before that I read the car monitors the network and goes into low power mode after a certain amount of time provided it doesn't see anything being used, i.e. all the modules not operating. Then I remembered the new Android head unit I installed doesn't turn off. It goes into a standby state at first and then a sleep mode. I went and found the spec for the current use and timing of this. It goes into a sleep state powered down level at around six minutes. I tested it this morning when i got home. It wouldn't arm but sure enough, six minutes later it did arm. So it must be the head units drain until it enters sleep mode that's not letting the alarm arm right away.
Not sure how I can work around it though.
Makes sense...the interior lights also take a little while to turn off...I think that when I lock my doors and the alarm sets ...the headlights on my car go out instantly and the interior lights shut off also, I cant remember ...I will check it out tomorrow when I get to work...so what I'm hearing you say is that the battery is drained from head unit so it has to wait until the head unit is totally off in order for your alarm to arm itself? Hmmm stranger things have happened I guess ...one thing I do know is the Lincoln LS is very peculiar when it comes to the battery

So you also hooked up the unit correctly yes? As in you didn't switch the constant and switched power?. My unit does the same thing. But have never had this issue so I was just curious. The stereo is the last thing on my list right now unfortunately with this looming vehicle inspection

Believe me, it's hooked up correctly. I just about made myself crazy by spending 4 months researching and deciding which unit to get, getting the factory wiring diagram & shop manuals, collecting the right parts/accessories/wiring harnesses, soldering & heat shrinking, routing wires, etc.
The only other things I can think of besides the HU is the electroluminescent gauge faces I put in. I connected it to the red ACC switched 12v for the HU because I read it wasn't a good idea to connect to the factory instrument illumination. But I ruled that out since the HU and it connect at the same point so the HU has no control over it and thus if it was the gauges it would not let me arm it at all since it doesn't have a stepped power down sequence. It has to be the HU since it also coincides with the HUs sleep mode timing.
The only other issues I have with her right now is the B1995 and B1869 codes out of the restraint module because I need to get rid of the underseat plug instead of just reattaching the wires like I did and the airbag indicator light seemingly burning out. She also has a rattle from the front suspension over rough road and a creak from the front left over steep speed bumps. Oh, and she tends to get a little too hot for my liking when the weather is warm/hot outside and I have to drive a while or drive spiritedly. And those wouldn't cause the alarm quirk. Other than that there isn't a single mechanical or electrical issue with her I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back