AMSOIL?? ANY objections

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well i will be going on a long road trip to Oklahoma for family reunion here in about a month, got me thinking i really need to do a tranny flush, i doubt if it has ever been done on the car since i bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I now have 75,000 and i'm guessing its time for some nice new tranny fluid. A friend of mine is a reseller for amsoil and royal purple sythetic oils and said he would change out the tranny fluid for me, the only thing he said he didn't have is a machine like the mechanics have that flush the tranny but he would take the pan out and clear out any metal shavings and put new oil in and filter. Anyone have any objections about amsoil, oh and what oil does it call for in the manual i don't have mine here right now, was planning on giving him a call while at work and asking if he had the right weight of oil. THanks again

Oh and i trust this guy more then the mechanics at the lincoln dealership where i live. I thought people had to go through some kind of training to be a mechanic but i guess not at the lincoln dealerships. Expecially when it comes to something as critical as the transmission, almost afraid to have any shop work on it as far as changing the fluid afraid either they wouldn't do it and just charge for it, or forget something small like put the filler cap Back in or just forget to fill it back up again with anything.lol..

I would compare it to steroid use in athletes. IMHO Amsoil is overengineered. I will see if I can nfind some of the old posts which discussed motor oil. This came up a few months ago as well as the comparison of synthetic to dino oil.

If Amsoil meets the Ford Mercon V( I believe that is what the manual calls for) spec you should be OK. I am a bit nervous about the "one size fits all" tranny fluids so if there is one that is just Mercon V compatible that is what I would go with.

I prefer to drop the pan to inspect and clean rather than having an flush system do it. Dropping the pan allows you to detect problems maybe before it is too late. Teh tranny shop I rely on recommends 12K intervals. Ford says lifetime. I will probably go with 15K to 30K depending on if I use syn or dino. Haven't made up my mind on that yet.

I think the LS needs to have a sharp eye kept on the tranny as I am suspecting it is a weak link, what with the recalls and TSBs and my need to have a dealer paid minor overhaul at 15K miles.

I really wish they put a dipstick on it since that is my first line of inspection.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Jim Henderson said:
If Amsoil meets the Ford Mercon V( I believe that is what the manual calls for) spec you should be OK. I am a bit nervous about the "one size fits all" tranny fluids so if there is one that is just Mercon V compatible that is what I would go with.

I prefer to drop the pan to inspect and clean rather than having an flush system do it. Dropping the pan allows you to detect problems maybe before it is too late. Teh tranny shop I rely on recommends 12K intervals. Ford says lifetime. I will probably go with 15K to 30K depending on if I use syn or dino. Haven't made up my mind on that yet.

I think the LS needs to have a sharp eye kept on the tranny as I am suspecting it is a weak link, what with the recalls and TSBs and my need to have a dealer paid minor overhaul at 15K miles.

I really wish they put a dipstick on it since that is my first line of inspection.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson
From the techs that i have talked to at the dealership i work at (who have worked on lincolns before) the tranny isn't a bad tranny.......it just has bad components. I just had my solenoid pack and valve body done under extended warranty and there was no indication of major wear/tear in the tranny fluid or housing. My car had just over 100,000 miles when it was done. I would say as long as you follow what Ford recommends for servicing your LS, you will be in great shape. There should be something in your owners manual about service intervals for coolant, tranny, brake, etc flushes as well as timing chains and misc. other things that need to get done. My advice......it may cost some money but it is better to spend it now while the car runs than to have it break down on you and then pay to fix it. Just my thoughts.

DLS8K said:
From the techs that i have talked to at the dealership i work at (who have worked on lincolns before) the tranny isn't a bad tranny.......it just has bad components. I just had my solenoid pack and valve body done under extended warranty and there was no indication of major wear/tear in the tranny fluid or housing. My car had just over 100,000 miles when it was done. I would say as long as you follow what Ford recommends for servicing your LS, you will be in great shape. There should be something in your owners manual about service intervals for coolant, tranny, brake, etc flushes as well as timing chains and misc. other things that need to get done. My advice......it may cost some money but it is better to spend it now while the car runs than to have it break down on you and then pay to fix it. Just my thoughts.

By my definition of a tranny having bad parts is a poor tranny at best.

My tranny was well on the road to failure with 15,000 miles on it. I have not seen any personal vehicles in over 30 years that failed sooner than 60K and that was from horrible abuse. I did not put the original miles on the LS so I cannot vouche for no abuse but even so, 15K is way too soon.

SO I am leery of the trannies on our cars. I may have just got one with early failure and things will be hunky dory from here on, but I have read of several owners on this site who have replaced solenoid packs several times, not my idea of routine maintenance.

I typically follow the maintenance schedules unless I feel they are way off. For example I believe the 100K tuneup, 100K coolant and lifetime lubricated trannies are marketing bs. For such items I typically will at least halve the suggested interval. I do almost all my maintenance and am more than willing to spend good money even if the manual doesn't say to do it as often.

I am hoping my tranny is now good for life, but I believe I will change the tranny and diff fluid more often than the "lifetime lubricated" suggests.

Maintenance is cheap, abuse is what costs ya.

Jim Henderson

Another question i have is Brian (Friend) wants to put amsoil in the engine also plus oil filter and he says that i would only have to change oil once a year, that is what amsoil is recommending and he does this with his mazda mpv personal vehicle think this is a good idea?? so far i am averaging about 800 miles a month on the car don't know why seems i only drive it on the weekends and still put that many miles on..lol

I know of two dealers who swear on amsoil. One, a very good friend of mine and another who posts on a local board I visit.

I can't give any advice on amsoil, but used Royal Purple in a 97 GT I previously owned. I used their synthetics throughout the entire vehicle and never had one problem. It's mainly a hometown favorite over here because Royal Purple is located in a small city just outside of Houston. IMO, I think it's just about preference.

Chad

Members online

No members online now.
Back