Amsoil 0W-30

Husker Z

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to change my oil in my 02 for the first time. It has 60K on it and I'm going to switch it to Amsoil like I have all of my vehicles. My question is, I always use 0W-30, it's the top of the line of the amsoils. Does anyone see a potential problem with this weight of oil? I used it in both of my Grand Prix's, one I just sold which has 111K on it and the other I traded in with 191K on it. I changed it more often than recommended, I dropped the filter only at 10K and did a full oil change at 20K. When I switch the LS, I'll do a full change at 5K and then go to the normal intervals just because the first time the oil cleans the motor so well that it clogs the filter more quickly. Anyway, anyone see a big problem running the 0W-30??

Thanks in advance.
:L

Stick to the owner's manual. Ford chose oil weights and change intervals for many reasons.

Sounds risky to me........lets us know when you blow a motor because of it.
I would personally stick with 5w30-10w40 myself.
Good luck!

-Scott-

the new motors are 5w-20 for a reason. u use anything different u will blow seals and cause premature engine wear.

i hope u just bought this 02 ls at 60,000 miles.. cuz u shouldnt b waiting this long to change the oil . you should change your oil every 3000 to 5000miles (i think 5000 is too much) case closed.

Lets not forget one of the 'other' reasons that the manuf's have switched to lower weight oils.... fuel economy! it takes less effort to pump 5w-20 than 10w-40....

the manuf's have all done multitudes of tests on different oils and viscosities. I would definately only use what is recommended by the one who designed it.

Husker- If you like running Amsoil then I say do it. One thing you might want to consider is taking the oil sample and sending it in for analysis every once in a while to see how the oil is holding up (that's what most diesel guys do). Many people with LS1's and Modular Mustangs etc. run Amsoil 0-30. I ran it in my race car and even after 3 full seasons on the short block the cylinder walls looked great.

I also ran it in my 6.0 Diesel Excursion and it held up very well. I actually changed mine every 10,000 miles in the truck because of how much towing I was doing, but several people were going 20,000 plus on changes (usually changing filter every 5,000 and sending the oil in for analysis every 10,000). The one motor I was told not to vary on is the Explorer 4.0, my buddy was an engineer on the motor and said the life was reduced with a full synthetic oil during durability testing. Hope this helps.

I may just go with the 5W-20 this time, but there is no way I'm changing it at 3-5K, that's a waste of money. I know a lot of people are from the old school and can't go any longer than that without having a nervous breakdown. But with the advancement in oils, it's just not necessary. I guess the proof is in the results and my 190K+ miles on my GP was proof enough for me. The oil in that car was as clean the day I drained it as the day I put it in, that motor was spotless. Oh, and this is MY first oil change on the LS, but that's just because we just bought it, not because it's gone that long. The 5W-20 is cheaper, but I know that the 0W-30 is a better oil, just not sure how the car will react. But, I will defintely be changing the oil change intervals to filter only at 7,500 at the earliest and 15K for a full change. It just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on Amsoil to drain it every 5K, you aren't getting the benefit of the great oil they produce.

ohioLS said:
Good luck!

-Scott-

If I blow my motor, it won't be because I'm using Amsoil, I'm 100% sure of that. I've used it in too many vehicles and put way too many miles on the motors to worry about that. It's the best oil money can buy, there really isn't anything even close. Trust me, I did a ton of research and talked to a lot of people before I decided change my intervals to filter at 10K and oil at 20K, it took me a long time to get adjusted, I used to not go a mile over 3,000 before changing it.

ohioLS said:
Good luck!

-Scott-

Be careful with 10w-40. I can't think of a single manufacturer who recommends that anymore. It's very "old school". Even in the heat of Arizona, I have NEVER had an issue with 5w-30 and 5w-20 Mobile 1 or Motorcraft. With today's tight clearances, I would most definitely stay within the manufacturers recommendation.

agreed Husker, Just put amsoil tanny fluid and new amsoil gear oil in the rearend and will probably never change tranny fluids again. Car just got to 70000 miles on it and with amsoil you can take the number of miles with regular oil and multiply that by 3 and get about the amount of miles you can put on this oil at least. Amsoil is a great oil, eventhough i have used it in my engine yet i've hear plenty of the other ranchers and farmers pulling tons with trailers and such swear by amsoil which is my main reason for going to amsoil, And if trucks can last 200,000 miles PLUS with almost little to no compression loss, beating them to hell using good oil, i'm guess my pleasant nice driving should be twice that at least

jdsimons said:
agreed Husker, Just put amsoil tanny fluid and new amsoil gear oil in the rearend and will probably never change tranny fluids again. Car just got to 70000 miles on it and with amsoil you can take the number of miles with regular oil and multiply that by 3 and get about the amount of miles you can put on this oil at least. Amsoil is a great oil, eventhough i have used it in my engine yet i've hear plenty of the other ranchers and farmers pulling tons with trailers and such swear by amsoil which is my main reason for going to amsoil, And if trucks can last 200,000 miles PLUS with almost little to no compression loss, beating them to hell using good oil, i'm guess my pleasant nice driving should be twice that at least

Tranny and rearend will be next for sure, engine is the first thing I do. The 5W-20 Amsoil doesn't come in the 12,500 and 25k oil change intervals though, only 7500 interval and that's not what I want. Amsoil claims that the 0W-30 is able to replace the 5W-20 and meets all of Fords specs, so I may stick with the 0W-30 Series 2000. In fact, Amsoil just upped their change interval on the 0W-30 to 35,000 miles, so me changing at 20K is very early. Amsoil is able to do this while not voiding any factory warranties, so I'm pretty sure they've done their research. Mobil 1 states right on their product not to use their extended drain interval oils until after the warranty is up because they won't stand behind it.

Husker Z said:
Tranny and rearend will be next for sure, engine is the first thing I do. The 5W-20 Amsoil doesn't come in the 12,500 and 25k oil change intervals though, only 7500 interval and that's not what I want. Amsoil claims that the 0W-30 is able to replace the 5W-20 and meets all of Fords specs, so I may stick with the 0W-30 Series 2000. In fact, Amsoil just upped their change interval on the 0W-30 to 35,000 miles, so me changing at 20K is very early. Amsoil is able to do this while not voiding any factory warranties, so I'm pretty sure they've done their research. Mobil 1 states right on their product not to use their extended drain interval oils until after the warranty is up because they won't stand behind it.

which filter do you recommend?

Why did you so your research? I am interested in learning more about amsoil. I only drive 10,000 mi a year so this would last me 2 years!

CobraConti said:

Why did you so your research? I am interested in learning more about amsoil. I only drive 10,000 mi a year so this would last me 2 years!

Actually, you would probably still want to change it once a year, that's something that you could read about, I drive more than that, so I've never encountered that. I did my initial research through a trucking company in Rock Port, MO that had two identical semi's that were purchased new and one got conventional and one got Amsoil and I personally got to see the wear after 500,000 miles or so and it wasn't even funny. The Amsoil motor still looked perfect, you could hardly tell it had even been run. After that, I just read a lot on the internet and different sites. You can ask an Amsoil dealer if you want to be stuck talking to them for 5 hours, and they are a little biased, or you can visit different sites and read for yourself. www.amsoil.com has a ton of information that is pretty useful too. It's interesting stuff and it's not new, they've been around for years, they were the first company to produce 100% synthetic fluids. Anyway, give it a try, you won't be disappointed, you'll get better gas mileage and a lot less engine wear, they guarantee it.

Dino versus syn oil and 3,000 mile changes are part of oil religions. You do or you don't believe. With the quality of today's oils, whatever you believe you will probably be fine as long as you choose a good grade oil and change regularly. Worst case change per oil manufacturer recommendation(EXCEPT if your are under warranty), which with a lot of the synthetics means extended drains and interim filter changes.

Personally I just change my synthetic at the car manufacturer "normal" intervals. The LS normal is 5,000 miles. The severe duty cycle which most of us actually fit, is 3,000 or so, but generally assumed to relate to dino or blends. Severe is stop and go, short trips dusty or hot conditions. Any of these is considered sever by the makers.

I have used Mobil 1 since 1980 in all my personal vehciles. I did go to a 15,000 mile interval a few times in the past, but the oil got that strange muddy rainbow color which bothered me. Maybe if I changed the filter at 7,500, but in my mind what's the point of the extended drain if you have to do half the work anyway? So like I said, now I just go with normal intervals. I do not go with 3,000 mile changes. Afterall, syn has got to buy me something in comparison to dino, right?

As far as 0Wxx oils, I don't care for them since my 2 experiences during winter in Portland Or. was that the oil had significantly more cold start valve clatter than my regular Mobil 1 5W30 syn. I suppose it makes sense if you live where the sun don't shine half the year. But then I never used any 0Wxx except Mobil 1 so can't compare.

I currently run 5W30 Mobil 1 in my 2004 LS V8, which is technically higher vis than the 5W20 blend recommended, but there was an interesting posting yesterday regading how Mobil 1 syn is effectively a heavy 5W20 rather than a typical 5W30. "Shake the can test" seems to bear this out for me. The posting also went into and why Ford went with the 5W20 blend to begin with, not just for mileage but as a side effect, sounds interesting.

An interesting side note on "proper" oil change intervals, the US Military has determined that oil change intervals based upon mileage, typically the 3,000 mile interval is essentially bs. So they are doing routine oil testing programs and extending the drain intervals. Interesting info can be found by searching for AOAP. I suppose if it is good for a Million dollar tank or aircraft, or even a lowly $100K truck, then they aren't really worried that the engines will wear out just because you don't follow the 3,000 mile religion.

My personal opinion is that the 3,000 mile change is way overkill considering how good oils are now, including dinos. The 3,000 mile change was created way back when oils couldn't last much longer, if even 3,000 miles. However, it is cheap overkill, so no harm. Although there is one strange note I read a month or so back claiming that metal wear is highest in the first few thousand miles of an oil change and then settles down after that. So the short changers may actually be changing just as their oil is getting good. Not sure if I believe it but it was from at least a semireputable source that had run several oil analysis and food for thought.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

CobraConti said:

And I have some beach front property in Idaho I want to talk to you about...

I don't care what the oil companies say. Follow Ford's recommendations. I would not exceed those for all the tea in China. I will guarantee you the filter will be in bypass if you leave it as long as you're talking about. I've taken engines apart where the owned followed these types of practices. They ain't purty!!!

And by the way...if you try this on a car that's under warranty and you have engine problems, you better hope Amsoil will foot the bill...because Ford won't if you can't prove recommended service intervals. My mom owned a Ford/Lincoln dealership for over 20 years. I've seen Ford ask for some very strange information for a warranty claim if they suspect abuse like this.

2001LS8Sport said:
And I have some beach front property in Idaho I want to talk to you about...

I don't care what the oil companies say. Follow Ford's recommendations. I would not exceed those for all the tea in China. I will guarantee you the filter will be in bypass if you leave it as long as you're talking about. I've taken engines apart where the owned followed these types of practices. They ain't purty!!!

And by the way...if you try this on a car that's under warranty and you have engine problems, you better hope Amsoil will foot the bill...because Ford won't if you can't prove recommended service intervals. My mom owned a Ford/Lincoln dealership for over 20 years. I've seen Ford ask for some very strange information for a warranty claim if they suspect abuse like this.

this is true, i have been doing some reading and it appears the filter is the weak link. So if i go with Amsoil i could change my oil once a year (as long as i don't go over 10K) but change the filter.........say every 3000 miles i should be ok??

CobraConti said:
this is true, i have been doing some reading and it appears the filter is the weak link. So if i go with Amsoil i could change my oil once a year (as long as i don't go over 10K) but change the filter.........say every 3000 miles i should be ok??

If you use the Amsoil filters, you only have to change it every 6 months or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. If you trust Wix or Fram or whaever, I would change it more often. I stick with the Amsoil filter and oil, they make a good team.

I guess I really am old school, but I use Mobil 1 5w30 and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I know many of you feel that is a waste of money, but what price do you put on peace of mind. Oil is the life blood of an engine, why risk it for a few dollars? I like seeing clean oil come out of my engine. I know the engine is being protected and (knock on wood) I've never had an oil related engine failure and have put some high mileage on my vehicles.

I also go with the viscosity recommended by the owner's manual. The people who engineered and built the engine, I feel know it best.

Stephan said:
I guess I really am old school, but I use Mobil 1 5w30 and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I know many of you feel that is a waste of money, but what price do you put on peace of mind. Oil is the life blood of an engine, why risk it for a few dollars? I like seeing clean oil come out of my engine. I know the engine is being protected and (knock on wood) I've never had an oil related engine failure and have put some high mileage on my vehicles.

I also go with the viscosity recommended by the owner's manual. The people who engineered and built the engine, I feel know it best.

I can't argue with that thought, I think as long as you feel comfortable with what you are doing, then go for it. I personally, after a lot of thought and research, have decided to go a different route. I spend about $8-$9 a quart and get what I "feel" is the best oil money can buy and still change the oil/filter more often than the manufacturer's recommendations and I have had great luck (see 190+K Grand Prix). I have total confidence in this oil, but it took me some time to break my old 3,000 mile habit, let me tell you. I'm not here to argue one oil over the other, I was just wanting to know everyone's thoughts on going to 0W-30. I seemed to have struck a nerve with a lot of you fine gentlemen.

Husker Z said:
I can't argue with that thought, I think as long as you feel comfortable with what you are doing, then go for it. I personally, after a lot of thought and research, have decided to go a different route. I spend about $8-$9 a quart and get what I "feel" is the best oil money can buy and still change the oil/filter more often than the manufacturer's recommendations and I have had great luck (see 190+K Grand Prix). I have total confidence in this oil, but it took me some time to break my old 3,000 mile habit, let me tell you. I'm not here to argue one oil over the other, I was just wanting to know everyone's thoughts on going to 0W-30. I seemed to have struck a nerve with a lot of you fine gentlemen.

i know ur proud of your 190k grand prix, you prolly would of gotten alot more if u changed yer oil every 3000 miles with the proper oil. keeping up wiht maintenance is the main thing that keeps yer motor strong. i dont care what kind of oil u use, changing it every 12000 miles just isnt good. tell ford u change yer oil every 12000 miles when yer main's are laying in yer oil pan.
u can get the same mileage even more out of any car. if u use the proper oil and recommended intervals from the factory. .. if u use what isnt recommended from the factory.. you will not be gettin the full potential out of your car . .gas mileage, protection, engine life, etc. :waving:

joedirt said:
i know ur proud of your 190k grand prix, you prolly would of gotten alot more if u changed yer oil every 3000 miles with the proper oil. keeping up wiht maintenance is the main thing that keeps yer motor strong. i dont care what kind of oil u use, changing it every 12000 miles just isnt good. tell ford u change yer oil every 12000 miles when yer main's are laying in yer oil pan.
u can get the same mileage even more out of any car. if u use the proper oil and recommended intervals from the factory. .. if u use what isnt recommended from the factory.. you will not be gettin the full potential out of your car . .gas mileage, protection, engine life, etc. :waving:

I have to agree with you. I had 288,000 miles on my '88 Town Car when I gave it to my son-in-law. That was over two years ago and he is still driving it and it still doesn't use any oil between changes. He also still adheres to the 3000 mile changes and continues to use Mobil 1. I don't know if that is truly the reason why this engine has gone so long, but I ain't rockin' the boat.

Isn't it funny how a thread like this can illicit so many varied opinions; and nearly all of them have merit in one way or the other? This is a great forum!

Stephan said:
I have to agree with you. I had 288,000 miles on my '88 Town Car when I gave it to my son-in-law. That was over two years ago and he is still driving it and it still doesn't use any oil between changes. He also still adheres to the 3000 mile changes and continues to use Mobil 1. I don't know if that is truly the reason why this engine has gone so long, but I ain't rockin' the boat.

Isn't it funny how a thread like this can illicit so many varied opinions; and nearly all of them have merit in one way or the other? This is a great forum!

Yup, I am not going to say one way is better than the other, you getting 288K out of your car and my car going 190K and still going strong and not buring or leaking any oil are both testaments to both of our theories. By the way, I am picking up my 6 quarts of 0W-30 tomorrow for the Lincoln. The only problem is going to be the filter, Amsoil doesn't make one for this motor. So, I won't be changing the filter at 10K now, it will probably be more like 5K and a full change at 10K. Not sure yet, I'll see how the car reacts.

I won't claim to adhere to the 3000 mile oil change interval at all with any of my vehicles (91 conti, 92 cougar, 94 GMC Jimmy). But, my driving isn't what most manuf consider 'average'. I drive 30 miles each way for work, and hell, its same distance for me to go 'into town'. the one drawback of living in boonyville, nothing is close!

but, my oil get fully warmed up for long periods of time (not overheated from long term city driving), and it does seem to help the oil last a LITTLE longer. burns a lot of the contaminants out of it I guess.

just my 2 cents

Members online

No members online now.
Back