America's Waiters and Cashiers Are Over-Educated

Again, there's nothing wrong with getting a college education.
It's great, especially if you take the opportunity to challenge yourself. If you're there for the sake of learning and not simply getting your diploma with the perceived promise that it'll open up the world to it.

I'm highly critical of the social atmosphere that compels all kids and adults to do so. They put too great an emphasis on college when we would all be better to focus more on Quality high school education (you'll find that most college students are taking remedial math and English courses), and we should be more interested in trade schools and apprenticeships.

I went back to college for 1 year.
I dropped out of school after grade 11 to work my talents. I know 2 very smart successful people (one who is a billionaire)who have nothing more than a high school education.
If post secondary isn't for you then you're just wasting your time instead of establishing yourself.

Don't see much opportunity for that in this economy...

I have come to realize "It is not what you know, but who you know." I have applied for hundreds of jobs in the past two years and only been called a few times for an interview. I now realize that employment in this country is only offered to young people who have never been exposed to bad influences, will accept minimum wage or will work under an IRS-1099 as a contractor.

I have all but given up looking for employment because it is counterproductive to waste my time and resources when employers say "Apply Online" only to be excluded by the software.

Well at least they haven't set up unemployment camps
where people would grow their own food and build their own housing without being given money.

Smaller businesses are paralyzed (if not dying) in this economy, while larger businesses are simply trying to squeeze more productivity out of their workers instead of hiring more workers.

It all depends on doing something that is useful or adds value.

To find that something is the hard part formal education notwithstanding.

A real world education beats book learning hands down.

Now your real education begins.

I agree with everything you said there....

Members online

No members online now.
Back