AM Radio Reception Problems

Palmguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2003 LS V8, 6 disc in dash player...tinted windows...not sure if it is metallic tint or not however.

I like to listen to talk radio (540 WFLA for those in the central FL area, it's a very strong station that I could pick up in Port Charlotte 150 miles away in my Cougar)...but my AM sound quality sucks. It pops very loudly and constantly on any station. The radio has been replaced under warranty without any improvement. The antenna connecter by the headliner is snapped in place correctly. Something I've noticed recently is that as soon as I shut the engine off, the popping goes away almost completely and it sounds perfectly normal.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

there's a tsb for this problem in the 03's. I'd post it but my alldata sub has expired. IIRC it involves wrapping some of the wiring in foil, etc. and was quite involved. trip to dealer....sorry

Thanks, someone posted it on LLSOC. Looks like I've got a possible solution.

Thanks again.

Palmguy said:
Thanks, someone posted it on LLSOC. Looks like I've got a possible solution.

Thanks again.
Did you ever get this resolved? My AM reception seems to have progressively gotten worse to the point where I cannot listen to it anymore

Thanks

The AM reception in my '03 went down hill real fast after I tinted the rear window with a metallic tint. I didn't make that mistake again and tinted the '06 with a ceramic tint. The radio reception stayed crystal clear with the new style tinting.

Kelleyo said:
Did you ever get this resolved? My AM reception seems to have progressively gotten worse to the point where I cannot listen to it anymore

Thanks

Nope, it still sucks. I've pretty much given up on trying to figure it out.

It's the isolator in the roof lining coming into contact with the roof. If you turn on your radio and sit in the back seat, start pushing on the roof lining in the area where the lead comes of the window antenna. You can alter the quality of the signal just my pushing on the liner in that area. I fixed this problem by taking a folded tissue and stuffing it between the roof and that isolator. My reception if 200% better with that easy fix.

Let me guess ... you are also new to this .... raise 5 identical threads related to the same problem and stick the same answer in all of them ... all within the hour and that's without looking at any dates.

youaresocrazylol.png

Well, it is one way to get your post counts up. :dancefool

And gave potential answers in probably every relevant thread to anyone else that searches in the future.

one way of looking at it. flooding the database, possibly not a bad idea at all.

Let me guess ... you are also new to this .... raise 5 identical threads related to the same problem and stick the same answer in all of them ... all within the hour and that's without looking at any dates.

youaresocrazylol.png

Yes gents, I am new here. I thank LVC for having this discussion that helped 'solve' the crummy AM reception I was having. I thought my fix was easy and could help others experiencing the same reception problem. I did post to several threads as they all were related to the same issue.

hey, no problem man, this way when somebody else searches, they are more likely to find your solution to help them.

Members online

Back