Alternator Voltage Regulator Question

Rapidtransit

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 and have a question concerning the alternator. I've read many times that when replacing the alternator, you must use the OEM Motorcraft unit because the PCM controls the alternator charging and all of the other remanufactured units will not play well with the vehciles PCM.
I've researched the regulator part and it turns out that most of the regulators that are used in rebuilts don't have LRC (load response control). Is this the reason the non-OEM unit don't interact correctly with the vehicles PCM? They do have regulator assemblies that do have the LRC circuit for sale. If rebuilding the original alternator with one orf these LRC regulators, will it then function correctly in the Lincoln LS?

This would be nice to know if it will work, and work correctly.

From what I have read and come to understand, is that the pcm does not call for the extra voltage even at high demand when aftermarket accessories calls for it.

(If that makes sense)

The only time I seen the alternator put out full voltage was right after it took a dive and this was a non-OEM alternator.

It should have been left up to the current battery state as a fail safe, to trigger high output from the alternator if the voltage of the battery drops to a certain state switch to a higher output.

Members online

Back