Alternator Removal: 95 Continental

Clean95Lincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
So on my 95 Continental I'm trying to take out my alternator and apparently it wont slide out of the hole above it between the coolant pipes. And I guess those pipes wont come out. If I take out my coolant resevoir will I be able to get it out? Do I have to take out my power steering resevoir also? It seems like the bolts just keep turning and they don't come out. If anyone knows any tips to get the alternator out let me know. Thanks.

Here's the 1996 procedure: :)

«1996 Continental Table of Contents»
«Group 14: BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM»
«Section 14-02: Generator, Integral Regulator -- Internal Fan and Regulator Type»
«REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION»

Generator
Removal and Installation

1. Note: The generator is not internally serviceable, other than the voltage regulator.

Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Remove two screws attaching power steering pump reservoir to the radiator coolant recovery reservoir and set the power steering pump reservoir aside.

3. Disconnect hoses from radiator coolant recovery reservoir. Remove retaining nut and bolt and remove radiator coolant recovery reservoir.

4. Remove accessory drive belt from generator pulley.

5. Disconnect wire harness attachments to generator and voltage regulator assembly.

6. Remove generator mounting bracket from top of generator.

7. Remove two mounting bolts and remove generator.

8. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten generator mounting bolts to 20-30 N-m (15-22 lb-ft). Tighten generator mounting bracket bolts to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in).

9. Fill cooling system.

Members online

No members online now.
Back