altemator

daboot

LVC Member
Reaction score
I mean altenator My Co Worker was a 97 I gave him a jump fired right up as soon as I unhooked the cables it died. We thought his altenator was bad. Got it tested and it was good. Hooked it back up no juice. Got a new altenator same problem. what could be the problem.

If you can start a car by jumping it should stay running for awhile from battery power alone, regardless of whether or not the alternator is functioning. Check the battery wiring and test the battery.

Last battery that I had going bad was sending 100 amps back through the alternator at idle and fried it. I second the battery idea.

yeah, cable check first then battery. if org. battery or more than 5 years I would repalce anyway.

At the time the battery was dead but know has a recharge battery and an new alternator he drove home and the car died on the way about 5 miles.

Doesnt matter if you recharged it....its got a bad cell....go get a new bat.

The battery is new, first thing we changed, even if a cell is bad shouldn't the car still run on just the altenator.

Not likely...................

MrWilson said:
Doesnt matter if you recharged it....its got a bad cell....go get a new bat.

Statements like this are what makes some people shy away from this site. He stated that when he pulled the battery cables, the car died. If the alternator was good that would not have happened. I have a very dead battery in my 94 right now, and if I jump start the car and remove the battery it stays running. It is more than likely a bad cable, or a bad alternator. I can tell you from experience that alternator testors are notoriously bad at testing the alternators out of our Marks. I had them test three at a local autozone, the two that I knew were good, tested bad by them, and the one that I knew was bad tested good. I put in one of the ones that they tested as bad over a year ago, and it is still working.

Orielly's says there is a short and "in new cars the computer shuts the car down when the battery is unhooked. I say bs If altenator has been working fine for over a year there is no short it is the altenator. Some on said it was his sound system, but my system is more powerful and haven't had a problem (94 mk8, autotek 1000.1 and three phenoix gold octanes).I personally don't go to the local Orielly's because of 2 statements from employees; "Who makes the Impala SS", and "I thought buick was made by Dodge."

I bet it a cable .... most likly the supper long one it in the $100 so no one want to replace it. do you have the stock clamps ? they are crapy and too thin.

My Co worker says he hecked them all he came to the conclusion that the altenator is not coming on. Which of the two wires control that.

have you checked fuses yet?

fords have a fuse in the BJB that if blown will kill the voltage regulator preventing charge.

vr4 said:

fords have a fuse in the BJB that if blown will kill the voltage regulator preventing charge.

All fuses are good

vr4 said:

whats BJB??

I got the little voltage tester with the green yellow and red leds , form Radio shack the wired a lighter plug it works great.

I can take a pic in the Am if you want.

buddylee said:
whats BJB??

I got the little voltage tester with the green yellow and red leds , form Radio shack the wired a lighter plug it works great.

I can take a pic in the Am if you want.

battery junction box.

the fuse box next to the battery.

Must have forgotten to put that feature in mine.......

daboot said:
Orielly's says there is a short and "in new cars the computer shuts the car down when the battery is unhooked. I say bs If altenator has been working fine for over a year there is no short it is the altenator. Some on said it was his sound system, but my system is more powerful and haven't had a problem (94 mk8, autotek 1000.1 and three phenoix gold octanes).I personally don't go to the local Orielly's because of 2 statements from employees; "Who makes the Impala SS", and "I thought buick was made by Dodge."

I have changed out the battery on mine a few times while the car was running. No detrimental effects to this point. As long as it is not run for any lenght of time, it will not do any harm.

bufordtpisser said:
I have changed out the battery on mine a few times while the car was running. No detrimental effects to this point. As long as it is not run for any lenght of time, it will not do any harm.

That's what I thought

Ok problem solved, the first time the altenator went out he checked all the fuses, but in his fustration he forgot to replace a fuse, the one for the altenator. THanks for the help though.

daboot said:
Ok problem solved, the first time the altenator went out he checked all the fuses, but in his fustration he forgot to replace a fuse, the one for the altenator. THanks for the help though.

welcome;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back