alright lets try this again................

lincolnls01

LVC Member
Reaction score
i bought a lincoln ls 01 v8,140k on the clock,I have always like the styling of these cars and seems like the power is decent too.I shouldve done more research to see that there was no aftermarket parts for it,but my bad oh well i still love it till this.....
the coils went bad,I researched and found this was the problem,no biggie few bloody knuckles and it was done,it ran flawless for about 2 weeks then I noticed a stutter at around 38mph-55mph. I just dealt with it and rarely drive it so it was no biggie.BUT

last night the coolant hose blew off the thermometor cause my car to pour smoke and throw coolant all over everything under the hood,I got the hose back on once it cooled off,put some antifreeze in it and started to drive off (was gonna babyb it home) the temp spiked super high and i had it towed home to save the engine the stress,I went out this morning to run the ecu for error codes with the torque pro app this is what I came by

p0133 02 sensor circuit s/low response bank 1 sensor 1
p0304 cylinder 4 misfire
p0308 cylinder 8 misfire
p1299 cylinder head temp sensor detected engine overheating

also i checked my coolant resovoir and its light muddy so i pulled the bottle off the and both hoses are full of it

what are your guys's suggestions is it a headgasket issue,or maybe something smaller?

thanks in advance all help will be greatly appreciated

Oh boy, looks like another one.

Your coolant reservoir is at the base of the windshield on the driver's side. I don't think that this is what you looked at, because some disassembly is required to be able to remove it. Coolant (water + antifreeze) is the only thing that goes in here.

Your hydraulic fan system reservoir is at the front of the engine on the passenger side. Only Mercon ATF (should now be Mercon V) should ever go in there. Wow unto you if you added any water or coolant to this.

Also, after any cooling system repair (like reattaching the hose) you must correctly bleed the air out of the cooling system, exactly by the factory procedure.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/drain-lincoln-ls-cooling-system/

Headgasket problems with the 3.9 are so rare as to be nearly unheard of. It is very common to get tiny cracks in the plastic cooling system parts that cause symptoms that are very similar to having a headgasket problem.

I noticed the hydraulic fan resorvoir had water in it when i was doing the cops,it looked like a puke color and I could see the water in it as it had seperation in it,I however did not know how to bleed it,so I will have to do that,I didnt add anything to it,but havent really driven it in the last few months except last night,it was the first time driving it more then 2 minutes up the road since ive done the cops,as I was waiting to get the cat checked because of the failing cops.thanks for the link on how to bleed it I will do that tonight.

Also with the p1299,that is just a red flg to the ecu due to the overheating correct,also when the coolant hose blew off that was probably due to the air in the sytem correct

P1299 is just telling you that you went into failsafe cooling in the near past.
No, the hose did not blow off because of air in the system. The system should pressurize to 15 PSI regardless. The hose blew off because it was put on wrong, the clamp is bad, someone used a screw type clamp instead of spring clamp, or the plastic part it went over is degraded.

I think you may be combining things. The bleed procedure is for the cooling system, and is not related to the hydraulic fan system. You will have to drain out all the fluid from the hydraulic fan system, flush it really well (can't use any water), and replace it with new Mercon V. There is also a bleed procedure for the hydraulic fan system. It requires the use of a vacuum pump and a special adapter.

Alright I really appreciate the help ive never had a hydraulic fan before so its kind of new and I bought the car off someone that was supposedly a mechanic but its been a non stop pita, its been one fix right after another but after joining this forum seems like its the 1st gen ls that had the problems Ive ran into.I drained the hydraulic reservoir, this is what came out

20140821_180129.jpg

Ya when I seen it I figured it was really bad ive never seen it that color, I wish I wouldve never jumped into this car lol, sooner or later ill have it road worthy........I hope

Is it possible to remove the hydraulic fan and its components and install an electric fan,from what ive read the alternator could support this,worst case scenerio I could upgrade the alternator............

ya i was just reading the write up thread by girlfriendsls,it was a great write up,he kept the stock alternator,ran a taurus fan with bmw control,I was wondering if I was able to find the jaguar dew98,in which I read they ran the electric fan if I was able to locate one,would i be able to use that fan?

I'm sorry, I'm not following. The LS (all years) is on the DEW98 platform. Are you talking about the electric fan on the gen II LS? It can be done, but fan speed control requires some custom parts.

Sorry to maybe sound uneducated,I love my ls,and am trying to keep it long term reliable hopefully achieving a full rebuild one day but till then my options are limited living in the city without garage space,and trying to keep it on a budget,as to not dump too much money into a car that still needs substantial work..... and Sorry I forgot to list the jag I read had the dew98 with an electric fan

DEW98 was used on:
Lincoln LS
Ford Thunderbird
Jaguar S-Type
Jaguar XF (still uses DEW98 AFAIK)

If want an electric fan from one of these, then the easiest would be from a 2003 to 2006 LS. The best way to do the conversion is to sell your 2001 and buy a 2003 to 2006 (2005 and 2006 most recommended).

I bled my coolant system changed my hydraulic fan reservoir, fan is running flawlessly, but after about 5-6 minutes it spikes up , any other suggestions

Members online

Back