Alright guys, Air ride question

MachME

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My dd is a 94 towncar.

The air system has not had one problem ever in its life. Never been serviced at all, crazy i know, but something was bound to happen eventually.

A few weeks ago the check air system light started coming on after about 40min of driving.

Now it comes on roughly 1 min after the car starts.

The bags are filled up and I never lose ride height.

On start up the compressor makes a low weird noise and after a minute of that, the light comes on.

So what is everyone's opinions, something wrong with the compressor, a hole in a line somewhere?

If I scan the car for codes, will it show a code for the air ride?

If the system does go out, Im going to put a IRS in.

Thanks.

The air ride systems on these cars are usually pretty cut and dry. If there is a noise that sounds like a buzz or rattle from the compressor and the air ride light comes on it is 90% likely it is time for a new compressor. They are available from american air suspension, Eddie is the man. There about 150 bucks and easy to replace, a few bolts and the airlines is all there is to it and it should run like new.

One question though. The air struts, are they original to the car? if so it is probably time for new ones as well. Otherwise if there is a leak in them after a year of use the new compressor may burn out because of the extra work it has to do to keep up with any leaks.

It is all stock. I am the 2nd owner.

as conti posted check eddies threads on the site. air system is a pain but if you have mech skills it would be worth the time to repair it coils do not do justice to the ride or handling of the car.(my opinion) have had at least 7 different marks with both systems and air is where its at. i know that age will catch up with any machine but the old addage pioir proper maintance prevents piss poor preformance. jd

Is there any tests I can do on the compressor to see if it is bad.

And how do you service the air ride? If there was, I would do it. The main problem I have read, is the air does not get vented, so if any moisture gets in, it will continue to cycle that air and rust the insides out which causes failure. Air ride is awesome, I agree, but it was a great idea that was made on a limited budget IMO.

As far as handling, it is not the air ride that makes handling bad. It is the platform/rest of suspension and how it was designed, pure comfort. SUV's handle better.

Not sure about testing the compressor, but the warning light on the car about 100% of the time goes off because of a bad compressor.

One way to check the bags though is the soapy water test. What you do is get a bucket of soapy water and a sponge and spread it on the bags on the rear struts. If you see any consistent bubbling on the bag through the soapy water it may be a air leak from the bag causing the water to bubble on the bag.

Did this to find leaks on my Continental.:)

Not sure about testing the compressor, but the warning light on the car about 100% of the time goes off because of a bad compressor.

One way to check the bags though is the soapy water test. What you do is get a bucket of soapy water and a sponge and spread it on the bags on the rear struts. If you see any consistent bubbling on the bag through the soapy water it may be a air leak from the bag causing the water to bubble on the bag.

Did this to find leaks on my Continental.:)

That sucks, and yes I am aware of the soapy water test. Thanks.

But if the compressor or bag(s) were bad, wouldn't i lose air and be on the ground? I have yet to lose any air.

That sucks, and yes I am aware of the soapy water test. Thanks.

But if the compressor or bag(s) were bad, wouldn't i lose air and be on the ground? I have yet to lose any air.

Not necessarily, if it is a very small leak it could take a days to a few weeks before it sags to the ground. Also even though the compressor is going bad it may still be pumping air into the system even though it may not be as much air pressure as it usually would.

One thing is for certain you need a new compressor.

Have you left the car parked for a while, or driven it with the air ride switch turned off?

Not necessarily, if it is a very small leak it could take a days to a few weeks before it sags to the ground. Also even though the compressor is going bad it may still be pumping air into the system even though it may not be as much air pressure as it usually would.

One thing is for certain you need a new compressor.

Have you left the car parked for a while, or driven it with the air ride switch turned off?

No, cannot leave it parked. It is my DD.

What would driving it with the switch off do? Is this another test for the bags? Meaning, shutting off the compressor, the bags should hold air, just wont receive air in or out from the compressor?

I will google search that Eddie guy, does he sell reman compressors I assume?

What would driving it with the switch off do? Is this another test for the bags? Meaning, shutting off the compressor, the bags should hold air, just wont receive air in or out from the compressor?

I will google search that Eddie guy, does he sell reman compressors I assume?

yeah. if it leaks with the switch off, the bag leaks.

http://americanairsuspension.com/

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm almost positive it is the compressor now, considering it doesn't even turn on anymore.:(

What had me confused was i heard the compressor kick on and didn't lose air, so I didn't know why the warning light would be going off.

I'm assuming the bags are still solid since i haven't lost any air, yet thank god. Hopefully it holds while i wait for parts. Pretty solid for all stock 17year old Lincoln huh?

Now, are there any special tools i will need for the removal/install? I will search for write ups.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm almost positive it is the compressor now, considering it doesn't even turn on anymore.:(

What had me confused was i heard the compressor kick on and didn't lose air, so I didn't know why the warning light would be going off.

I'm assuming the bags are still solid since i haven't lost any air, yet thank god. Hopefully it holds while i wait for parts. Pretty solid for all stock 17year old Lincoln huh?

Now, are there any special tools i will need for the removal/install? I will search for write ups.

Just a good socket set and some open end wrenches. Nothin special, after you remove the bolts and the lines from the compressor, it's easy to remove and replace.:)

A update for you all that were following along.

I ordered the complete kit from Eddie two weeks ago. I have been out of town. I got home and he seems to have forgot to send the noids in the kit. I got the compressor and air springs(look way better than stock springs btw) with the O rings but no noids, so i left him a voice mail. Plan on hearing back from him Monday.

That being said, I am not putting on the air springs now and using the old noids. I will wait.

The car was sitting how i left it, about half way between full ride height and on the ground, did not lose any air.

The compressor was cake. Three bolts, one air line and a couple of electrical connectors. In fact it took me longer messing around with the splash shield in the wheel well than doing the compressor. (i took off the splash guard to get to the one hidden nut, come to think about it, i don't know why i put that nut back on because i am going to put another drier on in a month or so, so i will have to pull the compressor again)

Hooked the battery back up, turned the car to on position and it filled the bags right up. The compressor is actually quieter than the old one.

I am not for sure if the old compressor is a stock one like I said. The compressor housing is bare metal and not black like the one Eddie sent, however there is no Ford sticker anywhere on it.

After that, i jacked up the rear of the car a few inches to check the bags. They are in a lot worse shape than I thought. I can't believe they still hold air. As soon as I lifted the car, you can hear a noticeable air hiss, it is quit obvious. The bags on both sides are cracked all around the fold crease. When i let the jack back down, the car went way down. Had to pump the bags up to get the jack out. Last year when i changed the transmission and rear end fluids, i don't remember hearing any air leak like this.

Hopefully I get the noids in this week and next weekend ill replace the bags. For now, I will drive the car how it is. The bags don't lose any air sitting on the ground, so I am not worried about the compressor over running, however I will keep an ear out for it.

Keep in mind like I said before, this is a 94 car. It is my DD and sits outside. It gets driven through heavy rains, snow everything. I am pretty the air system has treated me this well. Hopefully it will for years to come too.

Once i do the bags, I will snap some pictures and post up how it goes.

I read online to remove the bags, i need an air spring removal tool, part # T90P-5310-A. Is this true? I figured since the bags are junk, once i turn the system off, bleed the bags, i can just compress them with my hands since no air is in them?

Thanks.

hey guys, I got the new bags, noids, and compressor in. Working good.

The only thing i did not reinstall is the metal arc clips that are suppose to keep the noids from twisting out. The noid notches took some muscle to twist into the bag, i cant see them untwisting ever.

Members online

Back