Alpine sound system

grizzlyls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So finally got around to putting in the unmelted 3rd brake light in my 2001. Removing the package tray cover I was surprised to see that there was no subwoofers in there, never was since the sound deadening material was still in place. I thought the Alpine 6 CD in dash changer in that year was a package deal with the better system. Window sticker no clue, it just said 'Alpine Sport 6cd system (in dash)' or something like that.

Any clue about whether that was left out or was a seperate line item?

So finally got around to putting in the unmelted 3rd brake light in my 2001. Removing the package tray cover I was surprised to see that there was no subwoofers in there, never was since the sound deading material was still in place. I thought the Alpine 6 CD in dash changer in that year was a package deal with the better system. Window sticker no clue, it just said 'Alpine Sport 6cd system (in dash)' or something like that.

Any clue about whether that was left out or was a separate line item?

The subs and enclosure were de-contented in either 2001 or mid-2001 to save weight.

Which is ludicrous ... remove Amp and two speakers to shave some weight, honestly :Bang

Which is ludicrous ... remove Amp and two speakers to shave some weight, honestly :Bang

That's how important meeting CAFE is!! Same reason for plastic intake manifolds, cooling system parts and where ever else they can substitute plastic for metal. IIRC, Saturn's claim to fame was plastic body panels. Saw a Wheeler Dealers where they "restored" a late 80's BMW Z1 that had plastic panels!!

The subs and enclosure were de-contented in either 2001 or mid-2001 to save weight.

Ok, now thats curious. My 2002 had them and I drove the dealer crazy demanding replacment since the subwoofers had constant distortion from bottoming out at normal volumes. (I am recording engineer/sound designer) They finally got it right, or more likely a better made unit, on the third one and it worked like a charm at any volume level.

Mystery still exists, that is a clue though. Might explain why it is just 'missing' yet paid for. Anyone else with input appreciated.

Run your VIN. It should confirm that no subs were installed.

I looked at the sticker first Joe, but your right, so I checked Etis.

'With CDX6 Radio And 6 Disc Changer'
'With Deluxe Premium Sound System'

No other codes, or any 'less' lines that would equate to subs, so it does look like something is amiss.

Ultimately I am not to worried about it, I can certainly do better than what was stock. But hey who knows, if I am in the right, maybe can get customer service to give me a service credit! :) Just trying to get as many facts as I could.

I looked at the sticker first Joe, but your right, so I checked Etis.

'With CDX6 Radio And 6 Disc Changer'
'With Deluxe Premium Sound System'

No other codes, or any 'less' lines that would equate to subs, so it does look like something is amiss.

Ultimately I am not to worried about it, I can certainly do better than what was stock. But hey who knows, if I am in the right, maybe can get customer service to give me a service credit! :) Just trying to get as many facts as I could.

It won't have a "less" line; it was just eliminated. As the enclosure was pre-wired and easily installed I'll bet the previous owner installed the enclosure. Could also why the dealer was confused. This late after the fact dealers would be hard pressed to know how the car was originally configured. I'll bet NO dealer knows that for 2004+ the "LS" on the rear door sills was eliminated.

Well I am talking about my current 2001 missing it. I bet you are right, a mid line change pull has made it missing, but yet the customer still paid for it. Wow.

Now as far as the 2002 I had, with it, no thats not the case either. I picked it up with exactly 24k from a business lease with the lincoln dealer. Lease wouldnt have allowed any mods like that.

I know gen2 radio systems changed due to nav and thx, did they bring the subs back then? Had to of on the THX, wouldnt pass Lucasfilm inspection if it didnt. Wonder if late 2002 they started putting back in. Wish I had the VIN to my 2002, dont remember the build date.

Either way, LS4, you are showing that a credit is due either on invoice, or maybe I can pursue it now. Wish me luck, lol.

Yes, 2nd gen premium and THX systems had subs.

So if I have a 2nd gen Alpine 6 disc changer? What all speakers do I have? I was wondering as I'm also considering changing out the radio and speakers?

So if I have a 2nd gen Alpine 6 disc changer? What all speakers do I have? I was wondering as I'm also considering changing out the radio and speakers?
You should have subs and center channel speakers. That would make it the twelve speaker system.
I'd get everything else running correctly before worrying about the sound system...

You should have subs and center channel speakers. That would make it the twelve speaker system.
I'd get everything else running correctly before worrying about the sound system...

I'm definitely in agreement with you there Joe. Thanks for the response though!

Members online

No members online now.
Back