Alloy Wheels in Winter

Paul Ryan

LVC Member
Reaction score
When I took my old Town Car metal winter rims and winter tires to put on the Conti I bought this fall, I was told that the old winter rims would not fit, and that the bolt pattern on the Continental takes only alloy rims. Normally I like to have a set of cheap rims with the winter tires, so the installation is fast and cheap - plus - the alloy clear coat is not exposed to the winter salt and grime. Anyway for this time round I had to put the winter tires on the good alloys, so they wont look very good come spring. I should mention that these rims already need work, since the last owner must have driven them in winter. They already have that white "rust" on them. My question is - for those of you driving in the north where salt is used during winter...how do you keep the alloys looking new? Do you just let them go and forget about it, or have them refinished every couple of years? Or do you get a "winter" set of alloys from the wrecker, and have another set that never see the winter? Thanks.

You can plasti-dip them on both inner and outer wheel then just peel it off come spring time.

The salt isnt as bad as people think. The reason most people's wheels turn bad after a couple winters in the salt is because they do not wash their cars for months at a time. If you would wash the salt off every once in a while, and keep a good coat of wax on them, they do just fine.

The plastidip is a good idea for your current wheels.

The continental does not only accept alloy wheels, it has a completely different bolt pattern 5x4.25 as opposed to the town car which is 5x4.5

Thanks, guys. This weekend I waxed them with a high quality wax, and normally during winter I wash every week, and sometimes twice if the temperature rises to the freezing area after salt's been put down. Also will look into the plastic ...great idea. Thanks.

P Ryan

Members online

No members online now.
Back