*** ALERT *** Internet Connection Security

I saw on TV how some site intice you to come and see if your computor has "viruses, pop ups and cookies". They can give false positives, so you will buy their product. Microsoft is suing a company for advertising Microsoft recomends their product. Please be carful of these sites.

Proxied does not always mean safe.....

FreeFaller said:
I'm proxied...you can try to hack...but you won't get very far :cool:

Freefaller,
The job before my current one involved me going around to different military installations and and testing their security. It is called pen testing. I have never been to an installation yet where I could not get in. Firewalls, proxies, passwords, may all slow us down a bit, but there is no such thing as a 100% secure network. The Military gets hacked all of the time. They are on one hand much harder to gain access to, but they are by no means hack proof. Most hackers just give up on the military networks, because they have many layers of security.

Steve Gibson from GRC is good at what he does, but he is by no means the penultimate expert at internet security. Read on his site about the times that he has been hacked. True internet security is obtained by being cautious and having a certain level of paranoia. Layered security is the way to go. Use routers, personal firewalls, virus protection, and by all means update, update, update. If anyone on this list ever needs help with security issues, just ask, it is what I do for a living.

Welcome to two years ago, MM. :lol:

pbslmo said:
I saw on TV how some site intice you to come and see if your computor has "viruses, pop ups and cookies". They can give false positives, so you will buy their product. Microsoft is suing a company for advertising Microsoft recomends their product. Please be carful of these sites.

Steve Gibson (the owner and guy who writes all these little utilities) has made his billions off Spinrite. You may note that all these utilities are free, he has nothing to gain or lose by providing them to the people.

Spinrite has nothing do with with spyware prevention, so there is alterior motive to his providing these services.

You may want to look at his biography, and maybe read up on the guy. He is the textbook case of a White Hat Hacker.

Gee, I didn't get the feeling I was being forced to buy anything and I thought the services might add some value to those of us less computer literate when it comes to protecting ourselves from the internet underworld. I should get out more often, eh!

Members online

Back