Airconditioner WOES!!!!

mistermaclincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am lost on this airconditioner. I have put in 5 12oz can for R-134A and still no cool air. My compressor comes on but it cycles on and off and I can't add any more freon. They system is full I know this becasue after removing the can air and oil started coming out of the accumulator. I used one of those Ez Chill cans and the needle was in the red. I am at wits end on this and need all you your help.

Thanks

if you over fill the system you will not be able to get cold... Also I know there is a orifice tube in one of the lines, don't know where it is, I'm hunting down an ac issue as well, I am going to replace all the ac lines and compressor on my system I think my compressor may be going bad, or even leaking. I have a new orifice tube and this is where the conversion take place, converts gas to liquid or visa versa.... it is a 3 dollar parts but tends to be one of the main reasons the system fails to cool. I have a new tube, and all new o-rings to replace on every line including the compressor, I also have a new 4 seasons clutch assembly that I will be installing too. new bearings and friction plate.
did you put a vacumm on the system prior to filling it?

Good luck..
Bill

if you over fill the system you will not be able to get cold... Also I know there is a orifice tube in one of the lines, don't know where it is, I'm hunting down an ac issue as well, I am going to replace all the ac lines and compressor on my system I think my compressor may be going bad, or even leaking. I have a new orifice tube and this is where the conversion take place, converts gas to liquid or visa versa.... it is a 3 dollar parts but tends to be one of the main reasons the system fails to cool. I have a new tube, and all new o-rings to replace on every line including the compressor, I also have a new 4 seasons clutch assembly that I will be installing too. new bearings and friction plate.
did you put a vacumm on the system prior to filling it?

Good luck..
Bill

I didn't know that the orifice tube could be replaced. Is that the tube that is reffered as the low end?

You need a system vac, can be rented from Advance, system requires only 2 lbs, 16 oz Is a pound...do the math

I have no idea how you even got 5 cans in there, but now it all needs to come out...I advise you take it to a shop, one that has a good name and knows what they are doing

You need a system vac, can be rented from Advance, system requires only 2 lbs, 16 oz Is a pound...do the math

I have no idea how you even got 5 cans in there, but now it all needs to come out...I advise you take it to a shop, one that has a good name and knows what they are doing

I can't believe I got that many cans in there myself. I ususally use only 2 to 3 cans and everything is okay. I will find a shop to take it to to have the system vaccum out. I will let everyone know what I find out. Thanks for all you help.

Seth

You need to hook up real gauges and see what the pressures are.

Then vacuum out the system and start over most likely.

Even on a Gen I the blend door actuator motor could be broken. It is becoming more common.

Off topic, but the blend door in my 97 exploder is broken, I assume its going to be a PITA for that as well? I have the new door but havent had the chance to actually do it yet.
anyone want to come out and help? Lol

I can't believe I got that many cans in there myself. I ususally use only 2 to 3 cans and everything is okay. I will find a shop to take it to to have the system vaccum out. I will let everyone know what I find out. Thanks for all you help.

Seth

honestly, you may have caused the system to freeze up completely and this may have been the reason for the system to actually blow warm air.. Blend door may be the second reason... try to allow some of the 134A to escape and see if it gets colder... hopefully you didnt blow out the compressor in the process..
good luck
Bill

You can't change the orifice tube on a MVKIII. It is inserted and crimped in the line between the condensor and evaporator. You must change the whole line. It is not a $3 part.

You can't change the orifice tube on a MVKIII. It is inserted and crimped in the line between the condensor and evaporator. You must change the whole line. It is not a $3 part.

That depends, it can be cut out and there is a replacement kit for it to make the orifice tube replaceable... give me a few to find the kit.

I'll post it here.
Bill

orifice tube.jpg

Dont let the refrigerant escape, it's illegal and no good for the environment, you may have been able to put 5 cans in because it is alread coming out somewhere anyway. dont waste anymore time and bring it to your local reputable mechanic. they will be able to add a dye to the refrigerant and check for leaks, repair any if found and get your AC functioning again... what sounds easy enough to do is really not that easy if there is a problem, the system will not function properly with moisture in the system either, only way to get the moisture out is to put a vacuum on it for at least 30 minutes to an hour, then recharge with fresh refrigerant. refrigerants are made up of several compounds that leak out at different rates. like stated earlier, you need to evacuate your system by a professional. good luck

Dont let the refrigerant escape, it's illegal and no good for the environment, you may have been able to put 5 cans in because it is alread coming out somewhere anyway. dont waste anymore time and bring it to your local reputable mechanic. they will be able to add a dye to the refrigerant and check for leaks, repair any if found and get your AC functioning again... what sounds easy enough to do is really not that easy if there is a problem, the system will not function properly with moisture in the system either, only way to get the moisture out is to put a vacuum on it for at least 30 minutes to an hour, then recharge with fresh refrigerant. refrigerants are made up of several compounds that leak out at different rates. like stated earlier, you need to evacuate your system by a professional. good luck

I do beleive that this is why they have gone the way of 134A, its not as caustic as R12.. and I also beleive, the cans he used already has the dye in it.. if you use a black light you may be able to see where its leaking... Autozone sells the black light for like 5 to 10 bucks.. its a double headed light one end black light led's and the other is a flash light.. easy to use and effective in tracking down a leak.

Yes, you can install the kit, but it is not cheap. Also, I was simply referring to how the stock system is configured. Replacement lines are cheap, and are overall easier to do.

Yes, you can install the kit, but it is not cheap. Also, I was simply referring to how the stock system is configured. Replacement lines are cheap, and are overall easier to do.

I didnt think 30.00 and some time was too overly long and expensive.. it takes about 10 min to install once you get to the line and then you have to refill the system... but makes it easier to replace in the future... and 30.00 is the more expensive kit.. there are some cheaper..

BTW,, I'm not trying to get into a Pi$$ing war, I just know there are alternative options for those like me who are limited in funds.. what is the cost of a replacement line with built in orifice tube? I havent looked into that.. ( sorry just checked, its a minimum of 50.00 + shipping, and goes as much as 80.00 for that hose.. I would rather try the least expensive route first..)

Just my .02 Cents.

Last edited:
No pissing intended. I guess it depends upon where you buy from. The line from autozone is $41.99, with no shipping charges. Then again, I also changed the accumulator which is recommended anytime you change the orifice tube or compressor and flushed the evaporator and condensor too.... :)

No pissing intended. I guess it depends upon where you buy from. The line from autozone is $41.99, with no shipping charges. Then again, I also changed the accumulator which is recommended anytime you change the orifice tube or compressor and flushed the evaporator and condensor too.... :)

Want to come up to PA and do mine :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back