Airbag and TCS lights on

Yar1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a search for any existing threads, but came up short.

I looked at an LS today and both of these lightes were on.
Does anyone know what it means when the airbag light flashes in a sequence? (I think the light flashed as 2 blinks-something-2 blinks)

As far as the Traction Control Sytem, the light was on solid.

Any information helps, as I would like to know if this will be a cheaper fix or not.

Thanks!

Airbag light is probably a clock spring. It would help if you need the actual sequence though. As far as the traction light there are quite a few things that could do that. WSS and the ABS system to name a few. Mine is on constantly because I need to replace the control module and I just refuse to do that right now. Doesn't effect it at all. Maybe if someone new how to turn that light off?

Ok, thats good. From a quick google search it seems clocksprings aren't expensive at all.

And there's more reaserch to be done for the TCS light. Still not sure yet, one person said senors were a problem for ford in the early 2000's.

Hopefully it will be cheap, but lets see. Thank you.

sure, cut the light wire n solder it back when you need it again... =)

j/k... hmm, im not sure about that one, do you have a tune on this car?

HAHA, I wish.

But nah the car was at a dealer and I was shopping. I think i might just move on, those are two pretty big systems I need.

this is very true... how much is the car?

ha s it ever been wrecked is the real question, i have a feeling the air bag light is because its been deployed before, and either the air bag from the steering wheel is missing, and possibly the passenger side one too, and neither has been replaced, or.... then again, replaced and then had the computer reset properly.

that traction control ligt is probably on because the rear locked up during the possible "wreck", under some serious braking.. maybe the abs went out? and probably, it was ran up on a curb or something.... just my insight...

those are 2 systems that dont often eff up for no reason.... n i dog my car everyday for at least 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes more on the weekend!

tell them you're only interested if those two items are fixed. (if you really like that LS)
insist they prepare to cough up a copy of the work order and match the VIN# to the car and work order.

probably also illigal to sell cars at any dealerships with warning lights related to airbag and traction control.

The guy was asking $8000. I'm not sure about the wreck, It didn't appear to be in any. And yeah, something somewhere is probably disconected but idk what. TSC- most likely broken, seems like [as you stated] curb or hard braking.

its a shade-tree dealer @ Big, you know how that works.... but for 8k?!

man hell yeh, the need to go on & tighten that up, if not, keep it movin, you can get one here in dallas, legit for 6K.

tell them you're only interested if those two items are fixed. (if you really like that LS)
insist they prepare to cough up a copy of the work order and match the VIN# to the car and work order.

probably also illigal to sell cars at any dealerships with warning lights related to airbag and traction control.

I do like the car alot, it was clean, right price, ran well. Just those two things were bothering me. Telling him that might make him change his story, so ill try it.

As far as the illegal issue, that is a big safety concern.

this is very true... how much is the car?

ha s it ever been wrecked is the real question, i have a feeling the air bag light is because its been deployed before, and either the air bag from the steering wheel is missing, and possibly the passenger side one too, and neither has been replaced, or.... then again, replaced and then had the computer reset properly.

that traction control ligt is probably on because the rear locked up during the possible "wreck", under some serious braking.. maybe the abs went out? and probably, it was ran up on a curb or something.... just my insight...

those are 2 systems that dont often eff up for no reason.... n i dog my car everyday for at least 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes more on the weekend!

I have the feeling that you don't know anything about the LS.

Both issues are common and do not in any way imply that this LS has been in a wreck.

but that doesnt negate the fact that it needs to be fixed before it is sold publicly.

Yes, and I agree that the fact that it hasn't been is a sign that this is a shady dealer. If they won't fix it before you sign, you can bet they won't fix it afterwards.

They are not allowed to sell it as "safetied & certified" with those mentioned issues.

tell them you'll take it for 6K clear "as is", he eats the taxes or no deal !!!

then we help you fix it for cheap ... LOL

tell them you looked into it and to rid those two "Open Wallet" lights is going to run you close to 2 grand.

he probably took it in on a trade and is trying to double his money.

be forcefull with them ... it's your way or your taking your money elsewhere.

tell them you want them to fix the f*cking problems and still eat the damn taxes.

deal or no deal ?

also when he's got that done, take it for a good drive for a few hours,
listen to the motor, feel the tranny, is it knocking in the front end, any hesitations ... all that sh*t.

make him worry that you know what you are talking about, tell him you are shopping
around and you have your eye on another one, just as nice but with a little more miles
on it ... down the road, private sale and it's certified for less money.

tell him to come down in price or start throwing in some goodies, tell him the other one
is already tinted for less money and if he won't come down in price, he's going to have to
put tint on it before you are even interested.

oh and you want free oil changes for a year !!!

pretend you have plenty of money in your pockets !!!

laugh at him, make him feel like he's never going to sell that thing at that price with
those warning lights on the dash.

tell him with the price of gas these days, he's going to be sitting on it for a while.

don't keep drolling over it with him around, stop telling him how you think its nice and you would like it.

put your poker face on, bull:q:q:q:q him, force him down, be prepared to walk away from it.

leave him your number and tell him to call you when he's prepared to come down in price by a large amount.

you have my permission to kick him in the nuts as well, he's a "Stealer" after all.

<sorry, I was getting worked up there a little>

^ NICE!, that is some great advice. After even more research it does seem that they MIGHT be cheap fixes but I still dont know for sure.

Those are some strong buying techniques, you can bet ill be sure to use those

Thank you very much everyone, especially bigrig!!

They are not allowed to sell it as "safetied & certified" with those mentioned issues.

tell them you'll take it for 6K clear "as is", he eats the taxes or no deal !!!

then we help you fix it for cheap ... LOL

tell them you looked into it and to rid those two "Open Wallet" lights is going to run you close to 2 grand.

he probably took it in on a trade and is trying to double his money.

be forcefull with them ... it's your way or your taking your money elsewhere.

tell them you want them to fix the f*cking problems and still eat the damn taxes.

deal or no deal ?

also when he's got that done, take it for a good drive for a few hours,
listen to the motor, feel the tranny, is it knocking in the front end, any hesitations ... all that sh*t.

make him worry that you know what you are talking about, tell him you are shopping
around and you have your eye on another one, just as nice but with a little more miles
on it ... down the road, private sale and it's certified for less money.

tell him to come down in price or start throwing in some goodies, tell him the other one
is already tinted for less money and if he won't come down in price, he's going to have to
put tint on it before you are even interested.

oh and you want free oil changes for a year !!!

pretend you have plenty of money in your pockets !!!

laugh at him, make him feel like he's never going to sell that thing at that price with
those warning lights on the dash.

tell him with the price of gas these days, he's going to be sitting on it for a while.

don't keep drolling over it with him around, stop telling him how you think its nice and you would like it.

put your poker face on, bull:q:q:q:q him, force him down, be prepared to walk away from it.

leave him your number and tell him to call you when he's prepared to come down in price by a large amount.

you have my permission to kick him in the nuts as well, he's a "Stealer" after all.

<sorry, I was getting worked up there a little>

I also think your right, hes just trying to double his money and walk free and clear. Dumb dealers....I'm deffinitely prepared to walk if I have to, I know there will be others in the near future.

It's been on craigslist for over three months and hopefully he just wants it off his lot. :rolleyes:

He better be prepared to throw in those goodies you metioned too, I dont want to just buy this car and then never see him again. If you know what I mean.

Really appreciate the help.

I hate stealerships, really, who do they think we are.

I walked into one some time ago, looking for some new fresh plastic clips.
for holding down all that plastic shielding after changing out the A/C filter.

half of them are broken and discolored.

$4.89 per clip he says, and I must buy them in packages of 4.

at first I thought, he meant I get a package of 4 for $4.89

he corrects me and says, no per piece and they come in packages of 4,
you must buy them in sets of 4 ...

I laugh at him, explaining how I'm supposed to buy the whole sunroof,
with the glass and all for $1000 when I only need one little black clip that's broken.

kinda like how, I'm supposed to buy a whole swaybar when I only need the bushings.

let me guess, I have to buy the whole gas tank when I need a new fuel pump.

~ have a nice day,

oh and your "Special" on front brake job at $339.- is over priced,
when the small print reads, "parts extra"

come on, what is that, 3.5hrs to RE & RE rotors and pads, are you well ???

so I got some different clips from a hardware store, for my plastic housing
at 18cents per piece, as a matter a fact, I have a whole bag of them for $8.99

damn Stealers !!!

^ Well said. Trust me I hate that :q:q:q:q, they're only in it for money and con-ing everyone else.

One time I looked at a different LS, at a DIFFERENT dealership and when I first test drove the car, it had a huge lack of power. Thanks to this site I knew the coils were shot, afterwards we told the sales man and he had us wait while to dianoise the problem.

Anyways, he wanted to ADD the price of the coil onto the car price...I was like, IT'S NOT MY CAR, WHY WOULD SHOULD I PAY FOR THE PART!!!

We ended up not buying the car..hense the reason i'm still shopping. LOL

your best bet would most likely be, to buy from someone of this forum.
sometimes a long drive to get a nice car is well worth it.

interesting, selling a car with a traction problem that could lead to an accident in which no one would be protected by the airbags, while these problems may be able to be fixed for cheap, it is also possible that they could cost more than the car is worth to fix. just my thoughts.

I had the same problem with my 2000 ls6 the airbag light came on in sequence it turned out to be the connector under my seat, the wire was broke from the plug still have been successful in fixing the problem tried once and it broke again

Members online

Back