Air strut question

nickster

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to change out the air struts on my '95 - I was just wondering if all air struts are interchangeable. Will a set of fronts from a '96 work on my '95?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Nick

All struts are interchangeable between years. Have you considered switching to a coil over setup?

I'm going the cheapo route for this first round. My total expense for the used struts will be well below that of a coil over change.

Car has the intermittent nose drop every now and then. Sometimes, it will be good for days - other times the front will be slammed in like 15 minutes.

Is there a way to isolate which bag it is? Car always drops level in the front -meaning, one front side is not high and the other is low (lopsided).

From what I gather and have read about, this is highly unlikely to be the solenoids but rather the bags themselves, correct?

Nick

Maybe your vent valve is sticking open from time to time?

nickster said:
I'm going the cheapo route for this first round. My total expense for the used struts will be well below that of a coil over change.

What is cheap? Conversion kit for 4 wheels is only $350 shipped. Springs are great..

nickster said:
Is there a way to isolate which bag it is? Car always drops level in the front -meaning, one front side is not high and the other is low (lopsided).

I would go to Eddie's site for that information as he has a great q/a section. But from what I know I don't think so... Soapy water on the bags look for leaks.

nickster said:
From what I gather and have read about, this is highly unlikely to be the solenoids but rather the bags themselves, correct?

Usually the bags but doesn't have to be... Bags are like the Butler they always get blaimed..

Cheapo route...meaning under $100. Springs are enticing...but not yet. I've been to Eddie's site - definitely a good one.

One way I've been guessing its the bag (or bags) is that after it is dropped - I start the car and the compressor begins pumping the car up. As it gets near ride height, I start to hear air leaking so I put in drive (or reverse) and slowly move the car until I hear the bags stop leaking. Then it fills all the way up to ride height.

Nick

Nickster....where in Newburgh do you live? I JUST moved from there.

And it does sound like the struts are bad. One or the other. What you can do is spray each with a soapy water solution, start the car up and see which one starts spewing bubbles......then you will know which, if not both are shot.

Hope that helps.
:Beer

If you measure the two fronts, one side will be lower than the other. The side that is lower is the bad side. Make sure the car is on level ground.

The suspension geometry prevents this car from being too lopsided. If I deflate only one bag, the entire front end drops. If I measure both sides, the side which was deflated is always lower.

You could also have two bad bags, and it would be smart to replace them both at the same time, but I can tell you that replacing only one of my front airbags made a HUGE difference in how my car drove.

Kale

i know i just replace my Passanger front with a remaned bag from
BagMasterAir i got it for 275 and i got the dealership to install it for 170
it mad a big difreens in the way it rod
but now it,s time to replace the driver side im going the same rout but i have to wate about 2 months till i have the mony only have 100 now
with all the bill i have
it will be about 2 months befor i get the other 300 in the bank you know but i love it befor my check ride light came on every time i turned the car on now it comes on like every other day or so it,s all cool

also you can find places that have new aftermarket bags
but im afread to get the new aftermarket bags couse from what i have heard they hook up a little difrents then the dealerhsip stock bags so if im gona have a dealer do the job i want it to be don right and
hey im happy the remaned bag i have is sed to have new blader that will hold up to 1000 pounds

Air bags

One of the reasons you replace your front air struts is also becase the strut itself also gets rebuilt when using rebuilt units, not just a new blatter. I did a complete front end component replacement along with the air struts. The car rides and feel as though its a new car, what a differnce. You get used to the sloppy handling over time. I also replaced the rear shocks last week end as I noticed that it was slippy after I did the front end. Feels as though it is on wheels now. If you are going to the trouble to replace you ball joints, and strut bushings, and control arm bushings, finishing the job with rebuilt Front Struts will really deliver and new car feel to your ride. Just don't forget to get it aligned afterward.

:L

well i have one ? for you what kinda car do you drive
the dealship told me that when you replace the front air shocks in a 95 continental wich is what i drive you don,t have to have it alighment done
and you don,t have to replace the strut when the Air shcok gose
they are 2 difrent pars
so what are you saying

I bought mine from Arnott and paid only $165. I even had him remove the bumpstop so it'll go lower (running 20s).

Kale

bigdog1279 said:
well i have one ? for you what kinda car do you drive
the dealship told me that when you replace the front air shocks in a 95 continental wich is what i drive you don,t have to have it alighment done
and you don,t have to replace the strut when the Air shcok gose
they are 2 difrent pars
so what are you saying

I might be mistaken but are not the Conti struts different from the Mark VIII?

I remember looking up Conti replacements for a friend and they were a different system... I can't remember the year of the Conti...

just trying to get information i have a few friends with marks and if they have any problem just like to know difrent things
but not shur i also thout they changed the struts and the shocks in 95 i think maybe they didn,t

Members online

Back