Air Silencer Removal Issue

The Rev

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've read about how people have taken off the resonator and silencer, and I decided to do it. Resonator took all of 2 minutes, while I was there I changed the PCV valve (see lower about that).

The silencer though is another problem, I've got the airbox out, replaced the filter, but the 3 bolts that hold it to the body, for some reason they don't come off they just twist. The bolts on the underside of the body twist as well, but they're too rusted to hold. Has anyone had this problem (gen1)? If so how'd you fix it.

Also, I haven't noticed too much of a difference by taking off the resonator, what does that do anyway, besides get in the way?

With regards to the PCV valve, the one I got at Advanced had what looked like two valves for tubes to go on, with an piece of plastic in between. The bottom valve fit perfect while the top one just make a horrible noise while sucking in air as well, I used the piece of plastic to plug that hole, is that what I'm supposed to do?

Lastly, the clips that hold the plastic wheel well cover in on the right were broken so I could access the silencer easily, but the "rivets" (thats what they look like) that hold the left side on didnt come out, how do they come out? I picked up a fuel filter assuming that was the reason I'm barely gettin 12 mpg in the city. Any help would be appreciated.

if i remember correctly i had to squeeze a pair of loooong needlenose plyers in there to hold the clip while i unbolted.. if that doesnt work a dremel should work..

The silencer though is another problem, I've got the airbox out, replaced the filter, but the 3 bolts that hold it to the body, for some reason they don't come off they just twist. The bolts on the underside of the body twist as well, but they're too rusted to hold. Has anyone had this problem (gen1)? If so how'd you fix it.

Get rough with it and rip it out.

Also, I haven't noticed too much of a difference by taking off the resonator, what does that do anyway, besides get in the way?

Quicker throttle response.

With regards to the PCV valve, the one I got at Advanced had what looked like two valves for tubes to go on, with an piece of plastic in between. The bottom valve fit perfect while the top one just make a horrible noise while sucking in air as well, I used the piece of plastic to plug that hole, is that what I'm supposed to do?

Yep.

Lastly, the clips that hold the plastic wheel well cover in on the right were broken so I could access the silencer easily, but the "rivets" (thats what they look like) that hold the left side on didnt come out, how do they come out?

Pull the center out then pull the whole plug.

yea i just ripped mine out too, i think one of the bolts broke but the other ones r still in there

did you leave the plastic two hole vac on the pcv just cut it off it is universal for the air box you might have to pull out your inner wheel well on mine i dremeled out the front of the box and let it pull air from the bottm and top you will see a big hole in your core support you can enlarge it but it is not worth it or do some front ram air duct work with tubbing only thing cool about this is you pull open your plastic headlight cover and you can see if your filter is dirty

I was able to rip 2 of them out, but the other one was in the back corner and couldn't really get enough leverage to get it to pull out.
So, I just grabbed the dremel and cut off the top of the one bolt.

Sweet

Wow driller, in depth, thanks.

Ok I'll have time tomorrow to rip that SOB out, thanks for all of the help I'll let ya know how it goes.

got the bitch out

yeah, i got it out. had to buy a dremel (which burned out right before cutting that last bolt out. Is it possible now that I'm not getting as much airflow because I took that out? It seems now that air wouldnt be directed into the airbox as much as it would've been with the silencer w/ tube connected to it. I haven't noticed any sound/performance issues yet, just that quicker throttle that driller talked about, it jumps off the line a lot more than it did before. Should I get some tubing or just leave it? I plan on (eventually) getting a chip, MAF and icebox from lms so let me know

yeah, i got it out. had to buy a dremel (which burned out right before cutting that last bolt out. Is it possible now that I'm not getting as much airflow because I took that out? It seems now that air wouldnt be directed into the airbox as much as it would've been with the silencer w/ tube connected to it. I haven't noticed any sound/performance issues yet, just that quicker throttle that driller talked about, it jumps off the line a lot more than it did before. Should I get some tubing or just leave it? I plan on (eventually) getting a chip, MAF and icebox from lms so let me know
I felt the same way that is why i cut the front of the filter box open to pull air from behind the headlight i did this a year ago and could not be happier and the air flow sounds so clean so i think it pulls from bottom and top now

here is a pic

100_1902 (Small).JPG

looks like i'll have to return my dremel and see if walmart'll give me a new one, then i'll have to do that

looks like i'll have to return my dremel and see if walmart'll give me a new one, then i'll have to do that
I used a grinder with a cut off wheel but watch for the plastic shavings those will burn if they get down your pants. OUCH

it was a very annoying job until i got the dremel, after i had that it was 10 minutes, hey mespock that oil pan fix you told me about a few months ago is holding up strong

i got cut out the back of it, yeah they do burn haah cant wait to [hopefully] notice a difference

What benefit (if any) is there to removing the resonator on the throttle body ontop of the engine? and how would I seal it afterward? It just looks like it doesn't do anything

Last edited:
I cut the resonator up top with a sawzall.
Then, cut out a circle piece of plastic that will fit over the hole.
Epoxy the piece of plastic onto it.
Then spray painted the tube to look nice.

I didn't imagine it would be, is there a benefit besides freeing up a little room in the engine bay? it looks a lot better too, i'll do it saturday

I would imagine it would help the airflow a bit, since it becomes a straight shot to the throttle body.

I didn't imagine it would be, is there a benefit besides freeing up a little room in the engine bay? it looks a lot better too, i'll do it saturday

Just take your time and do it well. I have one that Ray did for me that I haven't posted yet. The think looks so hot...

I'm still doing a little work before I post pics...

Members online

No members online now.
Back