air ride

pilolli

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a question that maybe someone can help me with . i just changed my air compressor in my 97 mark , it now stays up all day long but when it hits 55mph it wants to drop to the ground , but if i go under 55 it will stay up ?

The MarkVIII is designed to lower ~1" above 55mph, or cruising speed. This helps increase control and handling. So what you are experiencing sounds correct.

That is sweet, you think it works that way in teh foxbody contis too?

Are you sure that you hooked everything up ok, and if so are there any warning lights on? Or do you have any codes? The t-bird sc did a similar thing at speed it went to firm if suspension was left in automatic position.

pilolli said:
i have a question that maybe someone can help me with . i just changed my air compressor in my 97 mark , it now stays up all day long but when it hits 55mph it wants to drop to the ground , but if i go under 55 it will stay up ?

JoshMcMadMac said:
Sadly, it's only a feature of the MarkVIII.

That sucks!! It has the same setup too. bag at all four corners, and height sensor at each front wheel and one at the rear.

You think i could get a mark7 computer to fit in a same year fox conti?

Are you getting the 'check air ride' computer warning?

Had the same problem on a lengthy road trip with a lot of luggage but it stays up without the extra weight... except when it doesn't :) like when its sitting all alone, unused for several days, then it might decide to lower... sheesh... like she's trying to get attention or something! Start it up, and up she goes to normal driving height with no problem, (until next time), go figure..!???
click
'94 Mark VIII

pilolli said:

Pepsi2185 said:
That sucks!! It has the same setup too. bag at all four corners, and height sensor at each front wheel and one at the rear.

You think i could get a mark7 computer to fit in a same year fox conti?
I'm not sure. The major question is if a Mark8 computer will easily fit into any other car. This has actually been asked many times, but has yet to be confirmed. We certainly need a guinea pig!

JoshMcMadMac said:
The MarkVIII is designed to lower ~1" above 55mph, or cruising speed. This helps increase control and handling. So what you are experiencing sounds correct.
:I :iconcur:

CaptainZilog said:
Get me one and my car will play the part of the mule :)
If I ever get to a junkyard again, I'll keep it in mind. If I can get a cheap computer, I'll send it your way. But then you really have to make it work! ;)

Does anyone know if there was ever a change in the air ride computer on the VIII's? I don't think there was, but that is definately sometihng to look out for.

The differences i would think of is probably different pins, and mabie a little different speed sensor interface.

Anyone have wiring diagrams?

pilolli said:

I dont think hes just talking about the 1" lowering at 55+, sounds like its droping more then it should? Just what I got from what he said. Maybe the vents that let air out to lower are malfunctioning? Cause 1" drop doesnt make the car goto the ground, I usually cant really even tell when it lowers at 55+ cept for when ya stop the compresser kicks in =p.

That or car is lowered and that 1" makes a big difference =p

I can tell when my car lowers, its damn obvious to me... I can tell when it's coming back up too... but then, my whole air suspension was just redone... 1" might be when it's old, I think I go a good 2" up and down!

while it may be the same idea of suspension the shocks and springs could be different and you don't see it. I.e. suspension travel and rebound/compression in the shocks/struts, the rate of spring in the variable rate air springs etc.. Since the suspension is most likely not a stand alone computer I wouldn't try switching a computer and expect everything to work.

Members online

Back