Air ride

num1bigguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I realize our number are small here. 2002 Continental with the semi active suspension. I've begun to notice that the rear suspension no longer releases when I park car. From my own experience, once all doors and the trunk is closed the rear suspension will click, and you can watch the car lower back down. My car has stopped this. It looked funny after i removed 5 bags of mulch from the trunk. It does seem to be adjusting correctly the next time I drive it. Any ideas? I want to keep the suspension stock as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

It could be the height sensor. Its on the rear axle on the drivers side. It looks like a black spring type (looks like a coil spring, but smaller) with an electrical connector going to it.

Does the compressor kick on at all? It is located on the front passenger side behind the headlight. It looks like a black canister with a line coming out of it. You can hear it run it will some what vibrate when it kicks on. Compressor might be on the fritz too.

I'll have to pay a bit more attention. I do believe the compressor is working since the rear of the car raises to level out the ride. Bought 5 bags of mulch last night. After I removed them from the trunk, there was easily an 8 inch gap between the tire and fender, exactly what I would expect having some extra weight behind the rear axle. I might be paranoid, but I swear it lowered down more in the past than it did last night. Just wondering if maybe I just have some crud where it releases the air? I've driven a Continental for so long that the compressor running is second nature and I don't even think about it anymore. Not to mention my AC and radio sounds might be enough to drown out the compressor noise that usually only happens at start up, or adding cargo to the trunk. I will confirm compressor running or not when I leave work this afternoon

Sounds to me like the air ride system is working.
This is from the 2002 service manual.
rh.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back