Air Ride Vs Conversion

Lincoln Mark VIII

1. thecoolmajor

thecoolmajor LVC Member

Hello All,

I am at a crossroads with my Mark VIII. It has 66k miles on it and in great shape but the front air bags are leaking and need to be replaced or repaired (if that is possible). Although it was difficult to locate them, I found two new ones for $220 each. I really like the air ride but I also know I will have to replace the rears and the pump at some point so more expense to keep it working. I know a Strutmaster Conversion kit is $400 to convert all four bags to springs but that will be all the expense I would have.

One other thought crossed my mind though - would converting it affect it's resale at some point? Do collectors/Lincoln Mark VIII buffs prefer having the air ride over the conversion or maybe it doesn't matter in the least? Probably personnel preference and maybe most would rather have it removed because it can be a pain. I have it parked and will fix it either way over the winter but wanted opinions.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Jim Knight

Jim Knight Active LVC Member

Two gurus I've had the pleasure to deal with are John Temple of Temple Performance, and Bruce Budnick in NH, both talked me out of converting for pretty much the same reason: the ride--You want an air-suspension Lincoln ride, or a Mustang? Resale was also an issue. However, Bill of Super coupe Performance in OH provides an adjustable coil-over conversion kit, that he claims can be adjusted for whatever kind of ride you want.

3. Lownslowlsc

Lownslowlsc Dedicated LVC Member

In your case it may be worth it to get the re-bagged (Westar?) units. If you do decide to go the hassle free route leave the ends of the lines/solonoids/plugs wrapped in plastic and the compressor unplugged to help preserve them.If the next owner is indeed a purist he'll be happy to see that.

5-6 years ago it was frowned upon to convert, but since the front oem bags are no longer made it's really the only option unless you want used bags or the reman units. That and the whole system can be a huge time and money waster. Been there, done that...As have thousands of others.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. thecoolmajor

thecoolmajor LVC Member

5. thecoolmajor

thecoolmajor LVC Member

So, would you say the majority of Mark VIII are converted? Probably since the only option is rebuilt air springs and the cost involved. I'll check out the air springs Westin company and see what they get. If I end up converting, I'll take your suggestion of bagging, unplugging, etc. for the next owner if they want to go back to air ride.

6. thecoolmajor

thecoolmajor LVC Member

Jim, I talked with John Temple some years ago I remember him saying that same thing about driving a Mustang (or Thunderbird) if my air suspension broke down. I'll check the Super Coupe Performance as another option. I thought resale is affected by having an air ride system vs not having one. Are you saying it's more desirable to have a working air ride system vs conversion for better resale?

7. Lownslowlsc

Lownslowlsc Dedicated LVC Member

Hard to say. My guess is that the majority of the M8's roaming around at ride height are indeed converted. But again, a guess.

If your car is in otherwise good shape I don't think it'll matter too much when it comes time to resell it. Lower mileage M8's in good shape are not all that prevalent. As I said above, any enthusiast that buys it may frown upon the coils but should understand why it was done. Let them know that everything is intact and that they can switch it back with relative ease. Now if you had an equivalent m8 on newer oem bags it may bring a bit more money but not enough to offset their cost.

If you plan on enjoying it for years to come and don't want the hassle of more air ride issues, convert. If you want to keep it all original hoping that it remaining on air will bring a little more money when it comes time to sell it then buy the reman bags or used 20+ year old oem bags. These things don't really demand all that much money in the first place, so.. Your call.

Me personally? I'd pay less for a M8 on air unless they had receipts showing it has been "maintained".

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  8. BILLBOATS

BILLBOATS Well-Known LVC Member

9. Jim Knight

Jim Knight Active LVC Member

Honestly, I'm too new a MK enthusiast to know what or what doesn't affect resale. I've wanted one for a long time, spent many months looking until I found my rust free 97 Southern Cal MK with 89k miles. But still dumped a ton of $$ into it, and now, for all intents and purposes, it's practically brand new and drives like it is. The air suspension is still good, though had to replace the mounts for the compressor. I expect to keep mine for the duration. Though I've been advised against it, when the air ride does take a shit, I'll probably look at converting more seriously.

10. BILLBOATS

BILLBOATS Well-Known LVC Member

Hi, I too have a 96 mark 8 with the air ride gone. I mean the cars on the frames. I can not get a floor jack underneath the car. Done a lot of research. If you need 2 rear shocks add another 150 to the price. I have mine winterized and car covered for winter. I would like to keep the air ride and will try next year to check the compressor and or replace it. The systems are now 21 years old. A master lincoln tech told me you are better to convert to all springs. If the air ride compressor dosen't help, I likely will buy from Arnott a entire kit as they guarantee it to the orginial purchaser for life(I am not positive) If i was to restore the air, I planned to buy struts, bages, a compressor and new air lines if needed. Complete air restor parts vs air are approximately
    The ride dosen't as a rule go all at one. You will be able to drive it . The message center will alert you to the system needing repair. Just keep and eye on the compressor running too frequently as this is the firsts sign of a leak. Then drive it home and jack it up spraying soap suds with a bottle sprayer over the front air struts, then jack up rear and do same thing. Lo0k for air bubbles. Until then just keep air ride you have. If it ain't broke do not fix it