air ride diagnose and parts needed

Nitvid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 base with the inevitable air ride issues that come with the age of our cars. I went to drive the car and the check air ride lights up right away, puump doesnt start, so hard fault. I changed the pump, been hearing it get louder and louder, thinking that was the problem, no dice there. I swapped out the ABS relay, and the problem persists. If i hot wire the pump directly (battery to the pump) it will air up the bags. If i disconnect the module behind the kick panel, near the glove box, and hot wire the connector (grey one if i recall?) the pump starts and airs up the bags, also if i do not reconnect the module, i dont get that air ride light error, nice to know if i go to springs, which i do not want to do. question is is that module (behind the kick panel) bad and need replaced? if so anyone have one they will part with? any other thoughts on what would be the problem? and yes, checked the air ride switch in the trunk, it's on ;) right now the nose is slammed to the ground, air leaked after several weeks and it's not enjoyable to drive around in much less damage it may cause.

air ride

I have a couple of those modules you can have for $ 25 each shipped. Let me know. Had one go bad a couple years ago so I stocked up on them. Air ride forever ! Thanx Bruce

sounds like a pain in the dick..guess how many of those problems I have with my suspension..ZERO..springs are the answer.

A bad ride height sensor will throw a hard fault. Perhaps you have a bad ride height sensor and it is not telling the compressor to turn on. I would swap them out and see if that corrects your problem.

A bad ride height sensor will throw a hard fault. Perhaps you have a bad ride height sensor and it is not telling the compressor to turn on. I would swap them out and see if that corrects your problem.

That was also my thought. One sensor in the back, one on each front bag.

You may also want to check the actual contacts to the compressor. They have been know to corrode a little. A good cleaning may also fix the issue.

Lastly is of course the high amp fuse, I think there is one. Just double check em. Since you are bypassing the compressor you may be by passing fuse. I forget if there is a relay for the air-ride, if there is, swap that also. And no, not the high power relay, a little one in the high-amp fuse box under the hood.

Early Christmas here. Ordered one each, AVS16&17 from Amazon. Looking forward to the quality ride the Mark was designed to have.
Will ditch the Arnotts, and looking for a set of used OEM rear bags to have as a spare.

Early Christmas here. Ordered one each, AVS16&17 from Amazon. Looking forward to the quality ride the Mark was designed to have.
Will ditch the Arnotts, and looking for a set of used OEM rear bags to have as a spare.

good call!

great info and thanks to everyone! I will get the module from dbleb88 (just sent a PM), and will check into the height sensors. Are the sensors a junk yard only item or can, and assuming i should, i buy them new from some place? Gen 1 and 2 the same?

I'm sorry you didn't have the money to stick with air, not all of us do.

Ohh trust me that's not the case..considering what I've spent on this car already..I just choose not to replace every component of the air ride system on a 17 y/o car just to make it reliable again..like my sarcastic comment from above said..how many of these issues would you find with a set of springs?? Look how many threads are started per week having to do with air ride problem this or air ride issue that..get my point?

springs are easier, i admit, but some of the cool quality to me is having that functioning air ride.

Members online

No members online now.
Back