Air ride compressor, module or sensor going out?

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Earlier today I got in my 94 and the compressor didn't come on (unusual) I drove about 3 miles and while on the highway got the ''check air ride message'' and cleared it. I got off the highway at my exit about another mile down the road, drove about another mile to the grocery store and noticed the sound of the front wheel scrubbing- the compressor never came on. I was close to home and slowly drove it there. Shut it down, nearly slammed just in the front (both sides, drivers side lower). About 20 minutes later I came out and started the car, the compressor ran and got it up to height in one cycle, about 45 seconds. I tired this a few more times and it kept happening the same, compressor comes on at startup, I drive a little ways but the compressor doesn't come on like it had been before (after driving highway speeds) The check air ride message didn't come back on...yet
Does this sound like bad air ride module or height sensors? I haven't driven it any real distance yet to see if it will slam again.
The bags all stay at good height overnight, no signs of abnormal leaking

Hey Dan! I would think you may have a bad ride height sensor on the passenger's side. Also sounds like you may have a leaky bag. Take the black cap off the top of the strut tower and see if there are any cracks at the top of the bag. It may leak when you hit bumps.

I have all my old stuff from out of my 96, some of it good and some not-both front bags were ok when i removed them, and the compressor never gave me any problems. I still have the sensors, modules and 4 rear bags (one of which is bad, I did mark it when i removed it). I'm willing to get rid of this stuff inexpensively if interested, and will also make a pitch to just let your Mark live on and just get a set of Strutmasters springs-I finally did this after 13 years of living with the air system over two different Marks, and can tell you I will NEVER look back. It's nice to know I never have to fear it blowing out (it happened in my 93 in the front 120 miles from home once, no warning), and I don't have to baby it by shutting off the air before shutting it down so it doesn't slam AS SOON...It still rides great, I was somebody who wanted to keep it 'original', but it is just too difficult and expensive to maintain. Sure, it's nice when it works, but when it doesn't. it is a planter in the driveway.

several years ago i put strutmasters on my 96....they're horrible....the bags i have now hold good, if they didn't I'd get some tokico's and vogtlands
----
idk if the 96 module will work in a 94

the bags hold air good, even after driving about 5 miles with the air ride OFF
----
I have no issues driving around town;
I tried it a few times today and it's the same scenario: when I get on the highway the compressor never comes on, I go about 2-3 miles and get the CHECK AIR RIDE message then pull off the highway asap, the front end is nearly slammed, rear end normal, I turn the car off, turn air ride switch in trunk off/on, start car and compressor comes back on, continue driving around town and no problems

Members online

No members online now.
Back