Air intake temp test result with heat shield

loveLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
so yes, finally, I ran the test.
most of you know that I fabricated a custom heat shield that encloses the KKM air filter.
first I took the heat shield off, covered my air inlet that's behind the front bumper to simulate what it would be with just the KKM filter alone.
I used the digital oven thermometer with probe.
for all the temperature reading, temp sensor was 1 inch away from the KKM filter. I ran the car for 10 minutes (time it takes for me to go home) prior to testing. for each measurements, I kept the speed for 5 minutes before taking down the temperature reading (in F)
repeat the test with shield on and uncovering my air inlet.
so here's the result.

ambient temp 70

without shield at idle 172
20MPH 154
40MPH 122
60MPH 102

with shield at idle 167
20MPH 92
40MPH 76
60MPH 71

sorry, no data with lid on the shield. blame it on my laziness.
but I was amazed with the results.
even at low speed, my air scoop is doing a great job of bringing in fresh air and heat shield blocking hot air, with both working, it's doing wonderful job of dropping the intake air temp.

Hope all your air intake work is going well.

Wow. That sure is a helluva difference with the shield at speed. I'm convinced!

loveLSE said:
most of you know that I fabricated a custom heat shield that encloses the KKM air filter.
first I took the heat shield off, covered my air inlet that's behind the front bumper to simulate what it would be with just the KKM filter alone.
for all the temperature reading, temp sensor was 1 inch away from the KKM filter. I ran the car for 10 minutes (time it takes for me to go home) prior to testing. for each measurements, I kept the speed for 5 minutes before taking down the temperature reading (in F)
so here's the result.

ambient temp 70

20MPH 154
40MPH 122
60MPH 102

with shield at idle 167
20MPH 92
40MPH 76
60MPH 71

even at low speed, my air scoop is doing a great job of bringing in fresh air and heat shield blocking hot air, with both working, it's doing wonderful job of dropping the intake air temp.

sooo what now? u get better gas miliege? more power? speed? or car just runs better with fresh air?

loveLSE said:
ambient temp 70

20MPH 154
40MPH 122
60MPH 102

with shield at idle 167
20MPH 92
40MPH 76
60MPH 71

SRAY02.gif

Man that is a stunning difference. Great job!

loveLSE said:
so here's the result.

ambient temp 70

20MPH 154
40MPH 122
60MPH 102

with shield at idle 167
20MPH 92
40MPH 76
60MPH 71

If im not mestakin loveLSE said he is not going to make them for sale witch is why he posted the plans so we could make them owerselfs but GrayGhost1 you really ought to look into getting these made for your page there a lot of us that ether dont have the time or the abilty to do it ower selfs hell I'd gladly pay $50 for one made from ABS so long as it sealed agenst the hood or had a lid mabey more if it had some kind of heat shelding on it.

yes, that is correct.
I took it to few plastic shops and both said "no"
one actually laughed and told me good luck.
original plan was to mass produce it and sell it.
but I didnt quite enjoy the experience trying to get it made.
so plan and diagram to make the enclosure is somewhere on this forum.
go nuts! maybe Ken will make this happen.
it's not too difficult to make, it just takes some time.
so with that data I would say it's worth the effort.

loveLSE said:
yes, that is correct.
I took it to few plastic shops and both said "no"
one actually laughed and told me good luck.
original plan was to mass produce it and sell it.
but I didnt quite enjoy the experience trying to get it made.
so plan and diagram to make the enclosure is somewhere on this forum.
go nuts! maybe Ken will make this happen.
it's not too difficult to make, it just takes some time.
so with that data I would say it's worth the effort.
Im sure QUICK OR GRAY KNOWS WHERE but I cant find it (the plans for making this thing) I can deff. uses this for the difference in temp at idel!!!
If someone could post the link It would be great ( trying to look still but cant find it anywhere)

mholhut said:

Oh BOY HOWDY!! What an incredible difference. You know, there is a formula I have that shows hp per every 10 degrees of intake temperature. I wish I could find it. It may be at www.kennebell.net but I'm not sure.

Oh yea...you took these at 70 degree ambiant temps? Man...I haven't seen a 70 degree temperature here since April.....

found it.
10 degree increase in temp, decreases 1 %hp (or 2.5 HP)
so this means
for my application, with intake from the grill and heat shield on, I should have 1.25 HP more at idle, 15.5 HP more at 20 MPH, 11.5 HP more at 40 MPH, and 7.75 HP more at 60 MPH. Im not sure if I really see 15 HP difference at 20 MPH but I'll take any extra HP I can get.
COOL!

REAL NICE WORK there Clark!

Are you going to repost the making of the air box for us? Good work I was still debating where to make one of these or not with this thread I would say h*ll yeah I want to make one now.

-Scott-

Members online

No members online now.
Back